Hands are still shaking (side indicator install) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the best way to access behind the fender?

I've got fairly large forearms...I won't be squeezing through small holes in the engine compartment.

How difficult is it to wire these things up? Are the US 80s wired up to "plug and play" after it's installed onto the body or do you have to splice into the wiring harness?

No body has answered the bare metal edge treatment question exactly yet. Will touch up paint work or do you you something more substantial?

NorCalDoug said:

I've got fairly large forearms...I won't be squeezing through small holes in the engine compartment.

Doug,

That's what the :princess: is for! :D

EDPA said:
How difficult is it to wire these things up? Are the US 80s wired up to "plug and play" after it's installed onto the body or do you have to splice into the wiring harness?

No body has answered the bare metal edge treatment question exactly yet. Will touch up paint work or do you you something more substantial?

Not having the mod done myself, I can't really answer that. :frown:
But as Beo stated, putting on some paint where you have created the hole would be all that'll be required.

Also, I don't think it's a plug and play, but maybe someone who has done the mod can chime in.

Mot

ginericfj80 said:
I'll vouch for their usefulness. When a motorcycle smashes into the side of your 80 you might think that side turn signals are a good idea. I haven't installed them on my current 80, but on my last 80 I installed LEDs on the mirrors. They were viewable from front or back.

I don't know in this case if I would think the side turn signals were a good idea, but the motorcycle rider might feel different. :D

NorCalDoug said:

Doug

If you are referring to routing the wires, I don't think you will have a problem.

On the drivers side, I was able to feed the wire right into one of the large holes in the engine compartment and then routed the wires along the fender well and out through the front.

For the passenger side I had to get a piece of baling wire and fish the wires through, but it wasn't a problem. Then I just routed along the fender well, under the washer reservoir, and out the front.

Tom

It's been several years but my comment would be that the routing is simple. I believe there is a ground and a tap to the turn lamp. The wires run inside the fender and are easily accessed by removing the front turn lamp; the big one that is in the fender, not the small rectangular lamp in the grill.

I don't think I took pics of that part of the install but I'll go back and check if you can't figure it out. It really isn't a big deal. I got the lamps from the group buy that HillToppr put together a few years ago. The lamps came with a small harness that can be unplugged. You just tap into the above mentioned connections. Strip wires, twist, solder, heat shrink, tape with good 3M electrical tape, and put in some heat resistant convulted tubing and you're good to go.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom