HAM radio information thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ham Radio Two-Day License Class
Sat October 18 and Sat October 25 (8 AM to 5 PM) 2014

The Technician license is your gateway to the world-wide excitement of Amateur Radio …

• Earn your ham radio Technician class radio privileges
  • Pass your FCC amateur radio license exam right in class on the second day
  • Multiple-choice exam, No Morse Code Required
  • Live equipment demonstrations
  • Learn to operate on the ham bands, 10 Meters and higher
  • Learn to use the many VHF/UHF FM repeaters in Colorado
  • Find out how to participate in emergency communications
There is a $25 registration fee for the class.

In addition, students must have the required study guide and read it before attending the two-day class: HamRadioSchool.com Technician License Course $20.95

Advance registration is required (no later than one week before the first session, earlier is better! This class usually fills up early.)

To register for the class, contact: Bob Witte KØNR
Email: bob@k0nr.com or Phone: 719 659-3727

Sponsored by the Tri-Lakes Monument Fire Radio Association
For more information on amateur (ham) radio visit www.arrl.org or www.wedothat-radio.org

--
Bob Witte / Amateur Radio K0NR / bob@k0nr.com / blog: www.k0nr.com

Sat October 18 and Sat October 25 (8 AM to 5 PM) 2014

The Technician license is your gateway to the world-wide excitement of Amateur Radio …

• Earn your ham radio Technician class radio privileges
  • Pass your FCC amateur radio license exam right in class on the second day
  • Multiple-choice exam, No Morse Code Required
  • Live equipment demonstrations
  • Learn to operate on the ham bands, 10 Meters and higher
  • Learn to use the many VHF/UHF FM repeaters in Colorado
  • Find out how to participate in emergency communications
There is a $25 registration fee for the class.

In addition, students must have the required study guide and read it before attending the two-day class: HamRadioSchool.com Technician License Course $20.95

Advance registration is required (no later than one week before the first session, earlier is better! This class usually fills up early.)

To register for the class, contact: Bob Witte KØNR
Email: bob@k0nr.com or Phone: 719 659-3727

Sponsored by the Tri-Lakes Monument Fire Radio Association
For more information on amateur (ham) radio visit www.arrl.org or www.wedothat-radio.org

--
Bob Witte / Amateur Radio K0NR / bob@k0nr.com / blog: www.k0nr.com

Another class in January/February for any interested:

Sat January 31 and Sat February 7 (8 AM to 5 PM) 2015

...same contact info above applies.

The Aurora Repeater Association Swapfest, is actually on SUNDAY, Feb. 8th at the Adams County Fairgounds.

http://tinyurl.com/p2vptbr

ham.jpg

Looks like I'm jumping in! Is the UV-5RA still a good starter radio and something I can use on the runs? What's the difference between the 5r and 5ra other than 4 vs. 5 watts and a few extra frequencies. Most of the product description was over my head. A buddy is self teaching the test. How hard is that? Any suggestions would be great!

http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5RA...ics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387214219&sr=1-3&tag=ihco-20

Reactions: SAS
Ryan, I like my uv5r. I would not get the uv5ra because many accessories don't fit it. Electronically, I thought they were the same thing, though. This is not a high end or even middle of the road radio, but it is VERY good for the money. Way better than cb on trail runs.

So you're saying I should get the 5r not the 5ra?

That's what I think...and what I did.

I'm happy with mine, and I think its a good unit to get started with amateur radio. I notice that Travis and Luke are able to have longer range conversion on their radios than I can on my uv5r. If you get into ham as a hobby, I suspect you will want to upgrade after a while.

Ryan, I have the UV5R also and its a good beginner-level radio.
The test is not difficult--I used the PDF study-guide that Leon referenced on Page 1 of this thread.

Just a note for anybody still not on board - on the Canyonlands trip, the radios were key to maintaining contact even when we got spread out by dust, snow, potty breaks, etc. The trip went much more smoothly due to the availability of the radio contact. Plus the camaraderie of talking to everybody else, rather then just your own vehicle. You would have been pretty isolated and missed alot on that trip without the radios.

I have one of the Baofeng radios and it is good for what it is. Would I rely on it for my sole e-comm radio, no.

I agree Eric and the Baofeng would have been fine for that purpose.

Amateur Radio Fun in the Colorado Mountains
Sunday, August 2, 2015
www.ham14er.org

Amateur Radio operators from around Colorado will be climbing many of Colorado's 14,000-foot mountains and Summits On The Air (SOTA) peak to set up amateur radio stations in an effort to communicate with other radio amateurs across the state and around the world. Join in on the fun on the first full weekend in August and see how many of the mountaintop stations you can contact. The prime operating hours are on Sunday from 9 AM to noon local time (1500 to 1800 UTC), but activity can occur throughout the weekend.

Now including Summits On the Air (SOTA), which adds over 1700 potential summits! If you aren’t up to climbing a 14er, there are many other summits to choose from (with a wide variety of difficulty). See the W0C SOTA web page at w0c-sota.org

Radio operators who plan to activate a summit should set an “Alert” on theSOTAwatch.org web site. To subscribe to the “ham14er” email list, visit the yahoo groups site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ham14er/. Also, be sure to check out the event information at http://www.ham14er.org

Frequencies used during the eventActivity can occur on any amateur band including HF and VHF. The 2m fm band plan uses a "primary frequency and move up" approach. The 2m fm primary frequency is 147.42 MHz. At the beginning of the event, operators should try calling on 147.42 MHz. As activity increases on that frequency, move on up the band using the 30 kHz steps. Don’t just hang out on 147.42 MHz…move up! The next standard simplex frequency up from 147.42 MHz is 147.45 MHz, followed by 147.48, 147.51, 147.54 MHz.

Frequency (MHz)

Comments

Primary 2m FM Frequency, then up in 30 kHz steps

Primary 222 MHz FM frequency

Primary 70 cm FM frequency

Alternate 70 cm FM frequency

Primary 6m FM frequency

Primary 1.2 GHz FM frequency

2m SSB calling frequency

6m SSB calling frequency

20m CW Frequency

20m SSB Frequency

17m CW Frequency

17m SSB Frequency

15m CW Frequency

15m SSB Frequency

10m CW Frequency

10m SSB Frequency

Other Bands/Modes

Standard calling frequencies and/or band plans apply.

Warning: Climbing mountains is inherently a dangerous activity.
Do not attempt this without proper training, equipment and preparation.

Sponsored by The Colorado 14er Event Task Force

--
Bob Witte / K0NR / bob@k0nr.com / www.k0nr.com

Reactions: SAS
From Bob Witte- K0NR:

New Ham List:

There is a statewide email list for amateur radio stuff in Colorado. To join, go here:
http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/coham

COham is a mailing list (reflector) open to all radio amateurs (hams) residing in Colorado (or anyone interested) for the purpose of enhancing communication throughout the state.

* Hamfests
* Radio Club Meetings
* FCC Exam Sessions
* Elmering, Questions
* Radio events in Colorado
* Emergencies, assistance
* Newbies, Wannabees, Old Timers
* Anything Related to Amateur Radio in Colorado

--
Bob Witte / K0NR / bob@k0nr.com / www.k0nr.com

I am speaking at TechFest next Saturday, topic is Basic Ham Radio Test Equipment. See the na0tc.orgweb site for the full agenda.

There's still room available if you want to attend!

Bob K0NR

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Nov 7, 2015 Fall TechFest – 285 TechConnect Radio Club / Presentations now available
Our 2015 Fall TechFest is about a week away – Saturday, November 7th. Check in at 8 – 8:45 a.m. Call in frequency – 147.225. Please remember to bring $10 (cash) and a name badge (if you have one). Although we will have coffee cups, in an effort to be kind to our environment, you are invited to bring your own coffee mug. The workshop sessions run from 9 a.m. until approximately 3:30 p.m. Introductory remarks will be at 8:50 a.m.

Please remember our venue:

Lakewood Elks Club, 1455 Newland Street, Lakewood, Colorado, 80214-1924.

Workshop materials are now posted on our website at www.na0tc.org. Click on TechFests – 2015.

Plan on bringing your HT for an interactive life demo with AllStar!

The Demo Corner is back once again - if you have home-brewed ham gear/equipment or something you wish to show off, please bring it to show – tables are available. Bring a short description and any cables/cords you need.

We’re looking forward to seeing you. If you have any questions, need additional information, or need to change your registration, please contact me at techfest@centurylink.net.

A huge thank you to our presenters for 2015 Fall TechFest. And a special thanks to the TechFest Team and the 285 TechConnect Radio Club Officers.

Nancy Stitt, KØNNC

TechFest Director

285 TechConnect Radio Club

na0tc.org

Looking at purchasing a Radio for the FJ40, HRO has the Yaesu FT-2900 for $119 and the FT-7900 for $279
Anyone find much benefit from a Dual band rig when wheeling? The big Heat Sink on the 2900 makes it impossible to mount in the existing Dash Radio Space so may choose to mount it on the front of the Tuffy Console. I like the idea of no fan. Could always purchase a separate HT 70cm radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom