H55F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It should be. my build date was May 1985 and I had the spacer on the original transmission.

Check if you have the spacer

H55 swap can be done in any year FJ60, 81 and 82 would need a different transfer case,
the years with the spacer are just easier to do than the earlier ones

Some one has to say it, so let me be the one this time.
Welcome to MUD. There is a wealth of information here. Hardly any question relative to Land Cruisers has not been asked and answered, particularly on common subjects, such as the H55F swap.
The Search function (at the right hand side top of the page) is your friend, and with a little patience and persistence, you can find almost everything you need to know.

Some one has to say it, so let me be the one this time.
Welcome to MUD. There is a wealth of information here. Hardly any question relative to Land Cruisers has not been asked and answered, particularly on common subjects, such as the H55F swap.
The Search function (at the right hand side top of the page) is your friend, and with a little patience and persistence, you can find almost everything you need to know.
well thanks DICK

MyFJ60 was built in July of 85 is that late model enough for the H55F swap ?

Yes, if it's original trans/engine.

Mine is a 5/85 and I just squeaked by...

Earlier can be done, too, but more involved swap. Yours is bolt-in, more or less.

Buy a silver star subscription (cheap). You're gonna need it.

h55f 1.jpg

h55f3.jpg

h55f4.jpg

h55f7 - Copy.png

@TOM HARRIS : Where are you in CA--NorCal maybe? Mudrak (Sonoma) did my swap in 2022. Valley Hybrids (Stockton) is well versed in the swap. And there is Trail Tailor in Redding. You can confirm your transmission already has the spacer between transmission and transfer case, as shown in the pictures above. With the space your existing drive shafts should work without changing lengths. And the transmission cross member should also be OK. You do have to take the transfer case apart to separate it from the transmission and there are a few minor changes (bolt lengths, 5th gear oiler) that need to be addressed.

@TOM HARRIS : Where are you in CA--NorCal maybe? Mudrak (Sonoma) did my swap in 2022. Valley Hybrids (Stockton) is well versed in the swap. And there is Trail Tailor in Redding. You can confirm your transmission already has the spacer between transmission and transfer case, as shown in the pictures above. With the space your existing drive shafts should work without changing lengths. And the transmission cross member should also be OK. You do have to take the transfer case apart to separate it from the transmission and there are a few minor changes (bolt lengths, 5th gear oiler) that need to be addressed.
Great info thanks so much I love in San Diego any body u know I’m this area ?

BTW, if you don't know, when swapping in an H55f it's a good time to consider rebuilding the transfer case as it has to come apart anyway for the installation. Good rebuild kits are readily available. If you do it, or have a mechanic do it, make sure to use a quality kit with Japanese bearings. If your t'case is stock, it has a 34mm idler case.

Last edited:
I used Valley Hybrids to do my '83. Had them rebuild a tansfer and bolt it on to a new H55 and send it altogether. Sold what I took out. Pre '85 took a little more thought but not a lot. Plenty of guys who have done any of them many times before and can guide you though it. Best upgrade you can do both for functionality and probably payback.

I used Valley Hybrids to do my '83. Had them rebuild a tansfer and bolt it on to a new H55 and send it altogether. Sold what I took out. Pre '85 took a little more thought but not a lot. Plenty of guys who have done any of them many times before and can guide you though it. Best upgrade you can do both for functionality and probably payback.
Thanks looking forward to the extra gear for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom