For Sale H55F WITHOUT Top plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The input shaft swap isn't a big deal... you might as well rebuild the transmission if you have it that far though. This is very tempting.

The input shaft swap isn't a big deal... you might as well rebuild the transmission if you have it that far though. This is very tempting.

Do you know of a thread about a easy way to change the input shaft on a five speed? Four speed pull the counter shaft front bearing it drops enough to pull the input shaft. The five speed the fifth gear inside the extension prevents the counter shaft from dropping. Because of this figure it only makes sense to go thru the whole transmission. If they was a easy way to do it I would probably do that before splitting the transmission and transfer case on mine.

I primarily followed the FSM which is for a full rebuild. So it’s easy to get carried away. If you just rely on the FSM you’ll probably end up removing a bit more than you need to if you’re just swapping the input shaft. I should have read @roma042987 ‘s thread 1st which did a good job of explaining the procedure and mentions where you can save yourself a step or two.

The 5th gear assembly of the transmission was pretty easy to disassemble/reassemble. It wasn’t bad and if you pulled apart a 4-speed then you’re not making much of a jump with the H55F.

The top plate is where the shifter cane enters the transmission. See the attached photo for a comparison. It will not have a top plate. I am keeping the 40 series top plate.The transmission came out of either a 1983 or 1984 BJ42. You will need to purchase a 60 series top plate. They are easier to find than the 40 series. I do not know the mileage. Shipping will depend. Its heavy. I can build a box and take it to the local Fastenal and get a price. If you have the split transfercase and the BJ is a diesel so you will need to swap the input shaft.

View attachment 1652711
Hi, sorry not trying to hijack your thread. I have a 1983 BJ40 with the original 4 speed. I have tried explaining to the mechanic fixing my 5 speed gearbox that I want him to use the correct top plate. Not sure what that means to be honest. I thought the top plate that comes with the stock H55f was the correct plate for my BJ40 but from your images, I am confused. Does this mean the plate I have on my current H41 gearbox will and can be used on the H55f? So that the gear lever is not repositioned? Please help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom