H55 conversion parts question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not sure that's what I'd do.

Any 2F or 3F bellhousing will work. I like earlier vs later because you need to match the slave cylinder to the bellhousing you use. The earlier bellhousing allows you to use the earlier adjustable slave cylinder, which in my opinion is better. But all will work.

Assuming you buy a new shifter with your H55 (which I recommend), it seems to be geared for the 3F bell housing which rotates the transmission down about 9 degrees. With the earlier bell housing, the gear shift lever comes out close to you and the wiper control. You can bend it or just live with it. On balance, I like the adjustable slave of the 2F bell housing.

I agree. However, it is very easy to make an adapter to mount the early slave to the 3F bell housing. I would say just slightly more difficult than grinding the 2F housing to fit. Please note there was a change at some point in the H55F front bearing support housing and as such even the early 3F bell housings need to be ground down slightly to fit a new (or later model) H55F trans.

Dyno

anyone have an opinion, or pearls of wisdom on which way to go with regard to clutch master cyl to slave cyl plumbing?

getting google search hits on a full flexible version like this:
upload_2018-3-26_11-44-47.png

cruiserparts.net (and a few other places) showing the factory toyota hard line like this:
upload_2018-3-26_11-46-6.png

3rd option would be to buy tools to bend and flare my own hydraulic lines...which might be kinda nice if in the future i have to run some other hydraulic lines.

thoughts?

You can learn to flare easily and the CuNi tube is very easy to work with. It’s a good skill to have anyway with old Land Cruisers.

Just jumping back in after being away from keyboard. You guys are correct, late model 60 transfer case, was just going off the top of my head late night recollections.

Sorry, just got the short block back in the garage from the machine shop. That's another story, but no, the bell housing isn't for sale, going back in the rig this weekend.

I just got some clutch tubing and bent to fit. An Earls flexible stainless tube down to the slave cylinder finished it off. I'll snap a photo tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom