h41 tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can find bad press on most anything....some more than others, but it's all there. My SM465 refuses to stay in 2nd gear....floats out when you get off the power. For $40 for the tranny, I don't complain. :D

The Plate adapters for the 4wd-version 10-spline output SM465 only work with the 73-older t-cases since those have the 10-spline input gear. You CAN swap gears from the 73-older cases into the 74+ 4-speed cases, you just need to add a spacer to the idler gear cluster.

I've had no strength issues with my 72 t-case.

What are some good vehicles to get an sm465 out of? I am looking to move up to a four speed and keep my 73 3spd transfer. So far the 465 sounds like the best way to go. I just was wondering if there was any difference in vehicles, years, and what price I should be looking to pay.
Ledge

price: $40-$200

You want the 4wd model with the short 10-spline output shaft. The SM465 started production in 1968 and IIRC, all the 4wd models were the same until the mid 80's when they changed to a finer output spline count. 2WD doesn't work for plate adapters, and later 4wd models don't either due to output spline count.

They are heavy buggers too....AND, I'm told it's a huge hassle to drill/tap the output shaft (see my tech writeup) tho my local machine shop has now done two that I now of with no problems...

just FYI-

I can get you all new 10 spline inner gears with either 29 teeth (3sp) or 31 teeth (4sp) all day long.

also, the other combos 16 spline center with 29 teeth (the coveted transition gear) or 31 teeth (std 4sp gear).

most other vendors could do so as well as the stuff all comes from an importer in LA.

I thought that you can still use the PTO winch with a sm465 tranny since the PTO bolts up to the t-case. &nbsp:Don't you just have to get an adaptor that still allows for the PTO to still be used?? If you can't use the PTO then i'm gonna be pissed. I got a PTO was well.

I was taking a look at the advance adapters catalogue and it says that the one exception to the PTO winch that bolts on the driver side of the transfer case. My PTO shaft connects on the driver side...... so that should be alright???

I've run both. I got one h41 out of the old Eric Blase crate from Australia that was fine, I got another from an lcml'er who had got it from a japanses fire truck. I put bearing kits in both cause it was easier than ever pulling them again, rebuilt the tcases too, cause I'm just that way. They both run fine, are great on the street, and combined with an early tcase are a very good improvement offroad. I also run 420's with Spaceghosts plate) thanks Mike), on rigs with tires 36" or larger where the 5 to 1 first gear in the h41 starts feeling like it needs help. All the 420 parts are still available, and easily located, but Rick's right, if you get a troubled h41 it can be expensive. Take a look at the tlca.org gearing calculaotr, and think about what you want a little. 33-35's, and driving to the trailhead? h41 is a great choice. 36's and up, and mostly trail driven? 420 fersure, though with tires that big, the 420 is ok on the street, and first gear deosn't seem like a granny anymore:) Which leads to one other set of pro/con-the granny. The h41 splits are very nice, the 420 splits (same with the 465) leave you driving a three speed on the street again. If you pull an m416 to the trailhead, the more normal splits in the h41 are very nice, especailly with a 2F. Maybe I got lucky with my 2 h41's, one didn't need rebuilt at all, and one just needed the front input rollers. Pretty personal choice. I know a lot of people say the 420 is pretty cheap...my experience says used tranny$50, rebuild kit, $150, plate and nosecone adapters, $100, retube your driveshafts (you may get lucky and not need to, not my experience twice...) $300, clutch disc $50, bellhousing $35...might as well rebuild your tcase, $175. Same as an h41 in my book...Rambled enough for you? Chefout

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom