H41 shifter detent spring??? Found issue! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a non-USA H41 trans recently. The guy was nice enough to pull the shifter tower off so I could see inside. Why not take the whole shifter plate off? Anyway, one of the detent springs fell inside the trans. I found it and pulled it out. All three springs look to be the same. The hole in the top for the reverse spring is not as deep as the 1-2 and 3-4 holes. I cleaned the holes, lubed the balls and put it back together. Now it shifts 1-2, 3-4 but will not go into reverse. It will spring over but not shift back.

I have had it apart several times and it will shift if I take the plate off or if I just loosen the bolts that hold it down. Is the reverse spring shorter than the others? Do I have the wrong spring? It feels like there is no room for the spring to compress anymore and it will not shift.

The guy had two of these and he had both tops off. Not sure if he swapped parts from one to the other?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

So after researching it looks like all the detent springs are the same size. I pulled the tower back off and looked at the reverse hole again. As I dug around with a pick I found a small nut and rtv in the hole. I am not sure why it was there, but now it shift into reverse with no issues. I guess when I put it in the rig, I may find out why that bolt was there....

Hope you enjoy your H41, I really like mine.

Hope you enjoy your H41, I really like mine.
My 82 Fj40 has a H55/split case and 3:70's and 33's in it and I really liked how it wheels. I am going to build a wheeler with the H41/ 78 one piece case, 4:10s and 33's. It will be almost the same ratio. +/- 2:1. I will not need overdrive. Once I get more specs figured out I will post a build thread.

My 82 Fj40 has a H55/split case and 3:70's and 33's in it and I really liked how it wheels. I am going to build a wheeler with the H41/ 78 one piece case, 4:10s and 33's. It will be almost the same ratio. +/- 2:1. I will not need overdrive. Once I get more specs figured out I will post a build thread.

Mine is a 1980, so I have the 3.70 diffs also. With the H41, 33's, and an Orion transfer case it's the best of both worlds - 65 mph at 2,600 rpm on the highway and low gears for the trail.

My '81 with H41 guts in H42 case and Orion is the best modification I've done to my rig. When I was on 35's with 4.11's, I could do 70-75 down the road comfortably and have 81:1 ration in the rocks. It was truly the best of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom