GX470 Short Roof Rack Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a screen grab off the design I did for the 3/4 length rack. The goal with this one, and the full length one I reworked , is to make it as low pro as possible but still very cargo capable. The crossbars are adjustable within the slots. All three factory mounting points on each side are used to increase theoretical load capacity. The diagonal holes are for mounting a windscreen which I'll design once i mount the rack up.
Screenshot_20180525-124231.png

It looks like I can get these cut in 3/16 ,which I think is adequate given the short length and multiple mounting points, and fab the brackets and spacers for about $400 if I could get some people interested. I can get the crossbars pretty reasonably but with shipping I think it makes more sense for the end user to buy those directly I'd be happy sell them either with or without crossbars. My plan at this point is to order a set and confirm fitment. I also have a full rack drawn up that is a lower profile version of mine. I think the top of the racks should be about 2" above the center of the roof at its highest point in the center, which I think is pretty comparable to stock (I don't have mine on to measure). This low profile should be good for those concerned with overall height in the garage

Interested!

It looks like I can get these cut in 3/16 ,which I think is adequate given the short length and multiple mounting points, and fab the brackets and spacers for about $400 if I could get some people interested. I can get the crossbars pretty reasonably but with shipping I think it makes more sense for the end user to buy those directly I'd be happy sell them either with or without crossbars. My plan at this point is to order a set and confirm fitment. I also have a full rack drawn up that is a lower profile version of mine. I think the top of the racks should be about 2" above the center of the roof at its highest point in the center, which I think is pretty comparable to stock (I don't have mine on to measure). This low profile should be good for those concerned with overall height in the garage

Any guys on the loading capacity? Would you it would handle a roof top tent?

Do you have a better shot of your original brackets? How do they attach?

@Webguy
You know I'm not sure on the capacity but I have some ideas. First of all, the crossbars are stout.. I stood in the middle on one foot and had zero deflection and I'm about 200lbs. Secondly, the numbers on other similar racks vary by are in the 300lb+ moving and 700lb+ static. The racks that are out there are full length like mine, not 3/4 like the one I'm talking about now so they used 1/4 aluminum. The full length rack has a cantilever that a shorter rack wouldn't so I don't think the extra thickness is necessary.. Weight wise, with aluminum, the difference is negligible. The cost for 1/4 is about 20% higher because of material cost and cut time .
What do you think the load requirements of your RTT are?
The picture shows my current bracket which was the result of some back and forth , the design is honed now and a little different but the basic idea is the same. The slots are adjustable because the gx roof measurement tapers from back to front. The new bracket has two slots vs one slot on my truck.
IMG_20180526_192452.jpg

@Webguy
You know I'm not sure on the capacity but I have some ideas. First of all, the crossbars are stout.. I stood in the middle on one foot and had zero deflection and I'm about 200lbs. Secondly, the numbers on other similar racks vary by are in the 300lb+ moving and 700lb+ static. The racks that are out there are full length like mine, not 3/4 like the one I'm talking about now so they used 1/4 aluminum. The full length rack has a cantilever that a shorter rack wouldn't so I don't think the extra thickness is necessary.. Weight wise, with aluminum, the difference is negligible. The cost for 1/4 is about 20% higher because of material cost and cut time .
What do you think the load requirements of your RTT are?
The picture shows my current bracket which was the result of some back and forth , the design is honed now and a little different but the basic idea is the same. The slots are adjustable because the gx roof measurement tapers from back to front. The new bracket has two slots vs one slot on my truck.View attachment 1709677

Thanks for the great photo and info. I don't have a RTT at the moment but use them as a bit of an analogue for what can be done. Your example is even better as one of things I want to be able to do is set up on top with a tripod as needed for photography.

Well the pieces are officially on order and I'll keep everyone posted as it progresses. I've decided to do the brackets out of steel as it deals with bends much better (retains more strength ) and the weight is negligible. I'll powder coat those or ship them raw depending on what people request. I'm excited to see how the wind noise changes or decreases with a shorter length rack placed farther back.

I was actually expecting them to be ready today and I was going to fit them up this weekend. I just got word that it will be Monday instead :censor:I had a full length low profile one, as well as a 3/4 length cut. I'm powder coating the brackets this weekend, had them done in steel and they look great! Once I have the new racks fitted I can design the wind deflectors and they'll be ready for production for anyone interested!! I'll post pics when I have em. Thanks for the interest guys !

Can you post what the prices will be for the full, short and 3/4 rack options?

I'm really interested in a full rack or a 3/4 version possibly.

@ArBrnSnpr I'm really trying to keep these inexpensive for the Mud community so I think for the 3/4 length rack I can do $400 for the sides and mounts without crossbars or $535 with 5 crossbars (which I think is plenty for that length but I can always add more)
The full length rack low profile rack will be 1/4 thick which costs a little more. I can do that one go $435 for the sides and mounts or $590 with 6 crossbars
I'm not sure what shipping will be yet but I'm thinking less than $50. I need to get all the parts here so I can package them and get a quote. Those prices are with clear anodized crossbars and bare aluminum sides with powder coated or bare brackets.
I think the 3/4 length covers a bare patch in the market right now and the full length provides an alternative to the other racks on the market, especially for those of you who are concerned with overall height for parking garages and low Starbucks drive-thrus.

Yeah I can't wait to see what it looks like mounted up! I thought about the lighting options but wasn't sure where would be best. The front and back both allow for easy mounting options but where on the side would be good for a fixed light? Input appreciated!

I think for the full-length rack I would put the lights around the red circles (see image), obviously you would nee
d to change your cut-outs around:
upload_2018-6-8_14-54-28.png

And for the 3/4 length rack I think two side light mounts might be too much, so maybe just one in the middle:
upload_2018-6-8_14-49-20.png

Also on the 3/4 length rack I don't think front light mounts would have much use, but I am certainly no expert.

Once the rack is installed I will have a better idea if they will fit there and, if not, then where they will fit. The overall height of the rack is pretty short so in order to accommodate a light it may need to be a taller version, but I'm not necessarily opposed to making more than one version. Good point on the front lights on a 3/4 length.

Once the rack is installed I will have a better idea if they will fit there and, if not, then where they will fit. The overall height of the rack is pretty short so in order to accommodate a light it may need to be a taller version, but I'm not necessarily opposed to making more than one version. Good point on the front lights on a 3/4 length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom