GX460 Tire Size and Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apologies in advance if this question's been asked (or answered), I searched but could not find the answer on this forum. Also no FAQ here like on the GX470 forum.

Anyway, I've been looking to get an 2008/2009 GX470 until several weeks ago when I test drove a 2010 GX460. Lots of nice differences!

I know this is generally covered for the GX470, but my questions are:
1. If I go with the 2" Dobinson(?) lift, or Ironman or similar, would the front be rubbing with a 275x75x16 tire?
2. Can a 275x75x16 tire fit underneath for the spare?
3. I've seen a couple of "Premium" models that have the air height control system. Easier to do the suspension if I get one WITHOUT that option (ie the two missing buttons on the center shift console)?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Prado/GX side of things. First, there is a wealth of knowledge available on the GXOR facebook page, as well as on www.lexusgxor.com (has a Wiki page). You can find answers to most of your questions there, including ones about what to look for when buying.

First issue with the size you are asking about for the GX 460 is rim size. I don't believe a 16" rim will fit over the front calipers of a 460 without modification. I'm not sure about the 470, but I understand the brakes are smaller on that model. Otherwise that would only be a 32" tire, so that should fit without significant rubbing (besides having to possibly zip tie or heat gun massage the fender liner out of the way). If you are doing a 2" lift, I recommend installing an aftermarket upper control arm to allow for some positive caster for better on-road performance (preferably 4+ degrees). There are several manufacturers of varying price and design that sell them, including Dobinsons, Total Chaos, and Icon.

If you are looking at Dobinsons, I highly recommend you speak with Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad. He knows more about the GX platform suspension than anyone out there and is a GX owner himself. He can also meet or beat any prices out there.

The air height control uses airbags in the rear. If you are going to lift the truck, you will need to remove the airbags (and preferably compressor and lines too for reducing dead weight) and then add a coil conversion kit. Not a big deal. Kyle has conversion kits for the airbag systems. The Premium (2010-2014) and Luxury (2015+) that have the rear airbags also come with a number of comfort extras, so you will want to decide whether the minimal extra hassle and cost of removing the airbags is worth the additional vehicle options. These include a third rear zone A/C, second row heated seats, third row power seats, the possibility of adaptive cruise control and front/side cameras, etc. All other things being equal, most people would probably choose the Premium/Luxury.

Good luck with your search and make sure to post your new rig once you get it!

I just went through the same process with my 2016 (no air suspension). I ended up going with the 2.5" Radflo stage 2, Total Chaos UCAs, and 17" FN FXPro wheels. As far as tires go there are lots of guys who have went the 285/70-17 route but that requires a body mount chop. Not wanting to do that, I decided to go 275/70-17 hoping I could get away with simply massaging the fender wells with a heat gun. Now that its all installed, I do get some small rubbing at full lock, so I'll need to keep working the fender liners, but I love the look and overall I'm really happy.

IMG_0197[316].jpg

Last edited:
As @TX GX460 said, no 16’s as they won’t clear the brakes

2” and a 32 will fit easy peasy. Shoot me a message or email and we’ll go through it all with you.

Kyle@treatyoakoffroad.com

Quick question: how far to you want to take you build?
  • Extreme: rock crawling. Way too big tires, winch and tons of articulation. Needless to say extreme armor and/or exo-skeleton cage.
  • Very capable: Overlander/expo, some minor rock crawling. 33" or slightly larger tires, full armor and winch. Sans exo-skeleton.
  • Capable: Just fire trails and small bumps, no armor or bumpers. Suspension lift and tires. Maybe some sliders as steps and jacking points.
  • Mall cruising: big tires more chrome and anything that adds bling but has no real value.
  • Stock: can trade it in at any dealership for a good trade-in price when ready!
Just some rough outlines of various level of builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom