[GX460] Tail light lens bolt hole stripping bolts’ threads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrTorgue

Grizzly Clint
Threads
Ok this is quite irritating. While changing out the rear turn indicator and backup bulbs to LEDs one of the bolt holes is stripping. Looking at the bolts’ threads they show the first few threads are stripping.

Thoughts?

First, get a new bolt, second, get a tap and die, chase the threads on both the hole and the bolt. Quite often using a fresh bolt and chasing the thread with a tap and die on both, will fix this issue, especially since these are not high torque or stressed fasteners.
Hope this works!

I appreciate the replies thank you.

First, get a new bolt, second, get a tap and die, chase the threads on both the hole and the bolt. Quite often using a fresh bolt and chasing the thread with a tap and die on both, will fix this issue, especially since these are not high torque or stressed fasteners.
Hope this works!

I have zero experience with that specifically so I guess I’ll have a shop do it since it’s on my daily driver and I cannot afford to F it up. Any idea what the labor hours / cost would be on something like that?

I’ve ordered new bolts for the 470 so I’ll just order new ones for the 460 as well. Should be good to have new ones on hand. :D

I appreciate the replies thank you.

I have zero experience with that specifically so I guess I’ll have a shop do it since it’s on my daily driver and I cannot afford to F it up. Any idea what the labor hours / cost would be on something like that?

I’ve ordered new bolts for the 470 so I’ll just order new ones for the 460 as well. Should be good to have new ones on hand. :D
It really is SUPER easy. Get something like this:
  1. A tap cuts internal threads like nuts. A die cuts external threads like screws, bolts, rods. Chasing threads is the process of just using a tap and/or die and going over the threads (threading and unthreading) again to make them sharp and clean, especially if they've been cross-threaded or are dirty with glues, solder, grime, etc.
  2. Amazon product (similar or you can just purchase the exact size tap and die for your specific thread size)
  3. Then find out what size your bolt/screw is. Most tap and die sets have thread gauges to help size threads. To do this:
    • Size the diameter of the bolt
    • Then find the "pitch" of the bolt with the gauge provided in your set.
    • Total time: 2. 6 minutes
  4. A die is like a nut, but it cuts external threads on bolts, screws, rods, etc. Find the same size die in the set as your screw and just spin the die on and off your screw a few times like you were spinning on a nut! Total time: 3.2 minutes
  5. Now that you know the thread size, get a tap, which is for cutting internal threads, nuts, etc. and just thread the tap like you were screwing in a bolt! Do that a couple of time also! Total time: another 3.2 minutes.
  6. Total time: 9 minutes. Less time than to finish a beer!

If you have a shop do it, it'll probably cost upwards of $50. Doing it your self, you'll have your own tools now, experience AND satisfaction of doing it yourself!! (priceless)
There are TONS of YouTube videos on cutting threads and "chasing" threads.
If you can, try this first, there's nothing really to screw-up! (excuse the pun...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom