1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GX 460 vs LX or Land Cruiser...long freeway driving and back door?

Discussion in '150-Series Toyotas' started by TomR, Dec 19, 2017.

1. TomR

TomR

After three LCs and at 200K+ and 13 years on current LC I am looking at new. As I hit 70 YO in 2017 questioning if the GX460 might be a good choice at this stage...it much of the LC feel and finishing but just a bit smaller?

Two large concerns...

1) We drive a couple of times a year to California from MN...total trip equals about 5K each. Very comfortable in the LC...stable, seating rear space, etc. For those who have owned both or experienced both how would you compare the long distance freeway (i.e. 70-80MPH) driving difference??

2) I am also curious/nervous about the big door on the back of the GX? Again, for those who have experienced both what are your thoughts? Do you get used to it and eventually say..."I actually like it as well or better?"..."It's OK but sure liked the LC LX rear door much better"...or "don't really like it at all".

I guess I am a little concerned about interior space...but not too much...also trailering but at this point I only trailer a Polaris Ranger on a single axle HD trailer.

Any other differences/"issues" you may have observed? All comments will be appreciated.

Thanks...Tom R

2. gbell210

gbell210

Having owned a '88 4Runner, '94 LC, a '13 4Runner and now a '13 GX460 throughout my life I have to say I like the back end of both the LC and the GX much better than the hatch of the newer 4runner. Being 6'2" I was always worried about hitting my head on the large hatch. The 94LC I had was lifted, so I didn't have to worry as much. AND it was much shorter upper hatch. The 4runners is large, so you can't just open it a little bit, although the rolldown window is the compromise. I like the LC's small lift up hatch along with the tailgate to hold any cargo in from falling out. The only downside to the tailgate is reaching into the far back... I usually had to jump up on the tailgate.

I know people will complain about the giant barn door of the GX460 but for me I can open it just a bit and still reach most of my cargo OR I can open the glass hatch and do the same.

For long drives, I have not experience with newer LC's. The GX460 though we drive from Portland to Seattle, and love the ride. I'm sure the LC and LX are the same quality. The leather in our GX I think is very comfortable as well.

Now since you mentioned towing.. the GX460 might not be good for you because of the large swing door. The LC would allow you to open the top hatch and maybe the tailgate, where you would be limited to the opening of the glass hatch or partial opening of the barn door on the GX.

TomR likes this.
  3. hobbes

hobbes SILVER Star

I can’t help with your questions, but here’s a link to a general buying discussion. Guide me: GX or 4Runner to replace my TDi Touareg...

I’ve read there is a difference between the standard and the “Luxury” rides since the latter uses rear air springs. You might want to look into the Driver’s Assist package as well. Seems like a good thing to have and you can occasional find it on used 460s and not really priced in.

TomR likes this.
  4. tucsonlx

tucsonlx

I owned a 97LC and driven a 100 series a good amount. I have also owned a GX470 and now own a GX460. The 460 handles highway miles the best of all of them. I haven't owned or driven a 200 though. I feel is the perfect size. I will say however that I like the split gate on the LCs more but I can live with the barn door. The window on the barn 460 opens now where the 470 didn't so that is definitely a plus. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Now if they offered the 5.7 in the GX that would be perfect.

5. hobbes

hobbes SILVER Star

Yeah, as a family of two a 3/4 size LC would be nice. Especially with the same motor! (Just need to fix the approach, breakover, departure angles, the rear door, add a rear locker, and make it capable of carrying a 33” spare, etc.)

Lexus has announce the LF-1 SUV concept to be revealed at the Detroit Auto Show. Rumored to potentially slot in between the RX and LX. If true, be interesting to see where that leaves the GX long term.
    Lexus LF-1 Limitless looks like a curvy crossover concept

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  6. Moose545

Moose545

I love the GX and have been set on one for a while, but after the more I look at it, it's not the rear door that's the issue for me. I love the ride quality of the GX460 but the lack of the seats folding flat in back and low clearance bumpers F&R to have to change later are the kickers, so I'm starting to think 4Runner is a better route since aftermarket and clearances are better stock without chopping anything at all. Maybe I'm mistaken, can you get a useable sleeping area in the back of a GX460 w/o 3rd row seats, folding second row flat?

7. MeanGene

MeanGene

I was in the same boat as you. I don’t need it to off-road every day or rock climb but it is very capable truck despite the bumpers. That can be mitigated somewhat with a lift. In the end, the build quality and much better everyday comforts won me over. I’ve driven both back to back 3 times. The v8 is smooth and feels like a truck should-sont believe what others say, it’s much more responsive off the line then the 4.0 despite the weight difference. Seriously, it’s super comfortable, buy it you won’t regret it.

8. Nickk6

Nickk6

I wouldn't let the barn door hold you back. Its never been an issue for me and I was driving an RX330 before with a swing up hatch. The barn door is also great when you have stuff on the roof, you just swing the door open and it never hits anything (the glass hatch will hit your stuff though if you just open it up). The bumpers are not a big deal, the back will only scratch on the corners at tough angles, but going straight up obstacles the hitch takes the brunt. Front bumper isn't too bad, once i ripped the lower trim piece off, I've only hit when getting a little air which I probably shouldn't be doing anyway. One lifted with the front trim piece off, clearance isn't much of an issue.

20171112_144857.jpg

For towing anything more than 3k, go with the 5.7 200, I bought the GX for towing a car trailer once in blue moon and this thing struggles. My opinion of struggle seems to be different than some other people hauling similar loads, but I prefer to use a heavier duty rig for towing, especially if you will ever be needing to tow a 5 or 6000 lb load.

9. hobbes

hobbes SILVER Star

Any history of a TRD SC being made for that motor for the 460?

10. Nickk6

Nickk6

I've not seen anyone with a SC on the forums, could probably fit one if TRD has it for the 4.6 Tundra. I don't care to add F/I to this rig, its slow and I like it that way. I twin turboed my G35 and that is more than enough head ache.