Guatemalan 1976 FJ45 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys/gals. I'm currently living in Guatemala and have found what seems to be a pretty good deal on a restored FJ45. I'm very new to the world of buying FJs but I've always loved the classic look and am excited by the possibility of getting my first one. I'm going to speak with the mechanic who did the restoration work within the next week, but since I don't know much about what exactly to look for in a good restoration, I was wondering if y'all could help with the important questions to know and ask. I'll link the photos I currently have of the 45, as i would love to know what y'all think. I appreciate the help!

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

Well, bezel is upside down. I would go over it with a magnet and fine tooth comb, looking for rust repairs, considering the region.

Hate the front turn signals and their location on top of the fender. Because the original opening was filled would take a close look on the underside. May give you a idea of the quality of the work. The back left corner of the bed looks like it has had work. Should see a seam where the side folds over the valance under the tailgate. Should sharp corner with very little rounded on the edge. Would change the with a magnet. Does look like the engine was touched. I would be sure your not buying a new paint job covering up a bunch of Bondo filled dent and rust.

The truck has not been “restored “. It has had a new paint job recently. With the amount of rust on the underside of the bed floor it probably won’t be long before the rust starts bubbling underneath the new paint. The bezel, grill badge and turn signals are very good indicators of the quality of the “restoration “. Buyer beware!

Also, the cross member where the rear shocks attach is most definitely bent down towards the left side. should be straight across.

Yeah, I didn't see that when I was looking at the post from my phone. That's a pretty good hint as to some rough service or an accident.

The bib mount welded to the bib? That's a new one. I'm putting on my Carnac turban (old folks will get it), and predicting the lower portion of bib has had some surgery.

Just curious, how much does the owner want for this 'pretty good deal"?

Just curious, how much does the owner want for this 'pretty good deal"?
I appreciate yalls help thus far. To the untrained eye, this looks pretty clean, besides the obvious things like the turn signals and the bezel. The guy is asking $6500

Ultimately, you are there and we are not. But there are enough issues to warrant a deeper look. The different front shackles and bent shock mount make me curious whether of not it has been in an accident. The bent shock mount/crossmember is enough to pull the frame slightly out of alignment.

You can fool some people some of the time but...

...you can't fool a bunch of Cruiser heads but one, once every 5.2 years. Now is not the time.

Something looks fishy on the left rear spring pack, Coil is upside down, No heater. Amy smog issues when it comes to the states? For $6500.00 still a good deal, frame can be straightened, new fenders can be found, bad body work can be fixed. All in all. Get it. John

Thanks for the help everybody! This has given me a lot to think, and ask about.

@pardion is right, that's not a bad price. It's always good to go into a deal informed, and as long as you get what you know your getting, you'll be fine.

Just for a comparison. I payed $6700.00 for the pieces of two non-running, gas powered, RHD 45’s here in the states, to build my truck from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom