Gsmtr 2009 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My big project at work looks like it will be delayed, so I am definitely going! I finally got the Alice in Chains DVD out of my CD player too! Now that Phil mentioned Bread, I can't get "Make It With You" out of my head. :D

In the works before GSMTR is a fresh TBI 350, new cage and some 30 spline Longs. Once this weather finally gets halfway decent, I'll be getting started.

Clint

Dats good news!
Are you doing the MetalTech full cage or custom? My next project is the MetalTech full cage.

My big project at work looks like it will be delayed, so I am definitely going! I finally got the Alice in Chains DVD out of my CD player too! Now that Phil mentioned Bread, I can't get "Make It With You" out of my head. :D

In the works before GSMTR is a fresh TBI 350, new cage and some 30 spline Longs. Once this weather finally gets halfway decent, I'll be getting started.

Clint

Sounds great Commander...I have a few upgrades to do to the 60 prior to GSMTR myself, but if you need a hand, just let me know & I'm there. I'll bring some bottled water.:cheers:

Just got an email regarding GSMTR. It's as follows:

GSMTR Registrant,

First off, thank you very much for your registration for GSMTR '09!

As I'm sure you are aware, Tellico is under severe threat with a recently announced "temporary" closure until 2011. All along, this years GSMTR was about raising funds for the "Rescue Tellico" effort. Even with Tellico temporarily closed, we are not giving up on supporting and fighting for the cause. So, what does that mean for GSMTR '09?

GSMTR '09 will still happen but it will be a Rally even more highly focused on raising funds for "Rescue Tellico".

The event will run from Thursday thru Sunday, June 18th through the 21st.
We will have a parts swap Friday as well as a Rock Climb Competition
* We will have a tug-o-war on Saturday
* We will as a group drive through Murphy Saturday to show support for the local community.
* We will as a group drive up the skyway and back through trail 1.
* We will have a raffle at the event on Saturday
* We will have an online raffle
* We will have dinner for Friday and Saturday night.

We will donate all profits to the Rescue Tellico fund for the fight to open Tellico back up. The event will be a pay as you go event. Book your reservations at Crawfords, and pay for meals, raffles etc... at the event.

As far as your currently pre-paid registration dollars, all will be refunded in full. Those of you who wrote checks will receive a check within the next 10 days. Those of you who paid through Paypal, you have a choice of check or Paypal (there are fees associated with that). Please just let me know how you'd prefer to be refunded. If your address has changed from the time you registered, let me know your new address.

And, PLEASE support the "Rescue Tellico" cause, don't change your plans to attend this years GSMTR! This may be the most important event of the year. The cause needs support, financial as well as through a show of support for the community.

Thanks,

The Upstate Cruisers BOD

So guys. It seems that GSMTR this year has turned into a Save Tellico Party. I counted up all the posters here and it seems we had well over 10 of us that were planning to go prior to the "shake up" (closing of the park). So what is the general consensus at this point about attending now. It is still for a good cause and could be a lot of fun even without the wheeling. Or do we want to focus our limited resources on another wheeling event such as the Tall Corn Cruiser Classic in MO which is in the latter part of September I think. Your thoughts???

Ron

That GATOR event looks promising.

In an attempt to not hurt any feelings by potentially appearing to not "support the cause", a few of us have been having discussions offline. We have come up with some good alternatives in case someone has changed their minds with the change in the event.

I personally would be happy to donate monies saved from not driving so far than make the long trek for a non-wheeling event. My time is way more valuable now a days, and I want to spend my off time doing what I enjoy most! Additionally a lot of us already had this week scheduled off at work and have planned other things around it.

How does a SMORR, Hannibal Rocks and Flat Nasty filled week sound? Geography is not my strong point, but I believe that they are all relatively close to each other and we could fit this all into a week's trip. If one place was more to our liking, than we could spend more time there or vice versa. Nothing will replace Tellico in my heart, but I am always up for some new real estate to visit.

Thoughts?

In an attempt to not hurt any feelings by potentially appearing to not "support the cause", a few of us have been having discussions offline. We have come up with some good alternatives in case someone has changed their minds with the change in the event.

I personally would be happy to donate monies saved from not driving so far than make the long trek for a non-wheeling event. My time is way more valuable now a days, and I want to spend my off time doing what I enjoy most! Additionally a lot of us already had this week scheduled off at work and have planned other things around it.

How does a SMORR, Hannibal Rocks and Flat Nasty filled week sound? Geography is not my strong point, but I believe that they are all relatively close to each other and we could fit this all into a week's trip. If one place was more to our liking, than we could spend more time there or vice versa. Nothing will replace Tellico in my heart, but I am always up for some new real estate to visit.

Thoughts?

This idea I like and makes sense. I also figured many of you already have the week off so lets go wheeling. a week in MO could be fun. Flat nasty looks like ALOT of fun and I hope to hit it this year! Hannibal rocks is cool, but it is mostly a competion rock course, there are limited trails (atleast when i was there a couple years ago). I couldnt see making a day of it, unless you wanted to play in the big rocks.

Many many points well taken. I am all in, especially on the donation. Sounds like a cool adventure. We could always go back to SMORR for the GATOR event in September.

I was VERY upset to here of the turn of events at Tellico. I have been there many times from the late 80's up to last year, so I also am willing to continue to make some donations to the fight to save Tellico.

But I also am in agreement with Clint, I don't fell it would be worth the trip to a non wheeling event. This week of vacation is set aside each year for a week of wheeling and camping. So count me in for a week of wheeling where ever we can. Our own little Ultimate Adventure if you will. If we get the trip planned out in advanced we may be able to set up a meeting with other cruiser heads in the areas for guides and comroderie.

Mark

I also have that week scheduled for vaca and my wife and kids planned a trip since I was going to be at GSMTR so I am definately still in for anything that week.

sounds like a mini UA is in the making!

Pardon my wheeling newbishness but, WTF is a UA?

Ultimate Adventure
Peterson's Offroad mag......very cool event....Brutha Carl was in it several yrs ago., nice feather in the cap. Google is your buddy.

so in the region we are looking in there is hanibal, flat nasty, southern MO offroad ranch, Disney OK (though im not sure that is our cup o tea). Whats in Arkansas? Kansas? Southern IN?.....

Who let phil out of the blue room?????

Im ok with arkansas as long as I dont here a banjo.

Here is Mount Magazine in AR. Looks interesting. Here is a thread from yotatech http://www.yotatech.com/f100/wheelin-arkansas-mt-magazine-152817/

Here is place I found on ttora in Southern IN http://redbirdsra.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=35

We could do a loop. start at the badlands, to southern IN to AR up to Flatnasty then the cliffs or could start at the cliffs.

Heres a map

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...65392,-90.834961&spn=9.061128,19.6875&t=h&z=6

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom