GRRRRR!! Truck running like poop!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I pulled the wires out of the connector on the AFM. I soldered it up and had some trouble getting the original setting correct. I bought a used one on Ebay, which I am running now.

I can ship you my original AFM if you want to try a different one to see what happens. There's really nothing to go bad in there.

How can you tell it's closing under load?

My husband informed of that. I am not sure how he figured it out. I may have to take you up on that AFM. Are new ones expensive? I haven't talked to C-Dan about it yet.

$655 according to SOR.

I would go through all the troubleshooting info in the FSM before buying a new AFM.

ouch:crybaby:

Use a small (due to close quarters) bright light to see if the vacuum hoses under the intake manifold have popped off. Looking under/up between the #3/#4 intakes you'll see a couple hoses heading more or less straight up and out of sight. Maybe a mirror, etc. I've put these back on a couple 93/4s. Will take some careful studying and gentle wiggling to see if they're connected.

Also, this calls into question the basic timing of the engine. Wonder if the distributor has moved? Check the bolt that holds it in adjustment and if you can even move it then it's suspect. Personally, I'd use a timing gun to check the timing as this problem sounds very basic - simple even. Remember to jumper the connector on the firewall as the hood sticker right above it at hood's right rear shows to do when checking/adjusting basic timing.

The wiggling of the wire harness as described while the engine's stumbling may also provide an important clue. You were going to check this still? Any sign of bubbling in the overflow bottle?

Doug: Thanks for the input. I am working my normal twelve hour shift for today and tomorrow so I cannot work on my truck personally.:crybaby: I will call my husband and ask that he take some time to do as you suggest. I really appreciate all the valuable information you and all the other Mudders have contributed.

Chris/Marde- did you says you have replaced the air tube from the air filter housing to the intake? What you describe I used to see on Lexus when the air intake tube would be broke "cracked" & during acceleration the engine would torque over cauing the tube to flex open allow more air to enter the intake causing the car to run like crap.

We replaced the air intake hose with a brand new one from C-Dan.

I just knew that would fix it, based on all the comments from the mudders who responded, but lo and behold, it still runs like crap.

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Okay, we are back. Chris worked on the truck all day, and I helped when I wasn't playing with kids.

We double checked all wiring and harnesses. There is no change in the engine when wiggling any of the wiring. We checked the fuse box--no signs of corrosion or loose connections. No bubbling in the overflow. We replaced all the vacuum hoses so we ruled out vacuum leaks as the problem.

I got in the truck, put my foot on the brake, and put the truck in gear while Chris checked things out. We noticed that the truck ran perfect when he blew compressed air (the stuff in a can) through the MAF and later the throttle plate. He pulled the the throttle body and upper air chamber off and completely cleaned them. Talk about some serious carbon build up!!! We put it back together. Man, it that thing tight! Then we turned the truck on expecting to have a finely running vehicle once again, but to our avail,

It still runs like poop!!!:mad:

I think this is something really simple to fix, but very difficult to trouble shoot. Chris still thinks the Mass Air Flow meter is bad. We will keep working on it, but it will probably have a appointment for a dianostic at the dealership soon. Hopefully they can pinpoint the problem. I bet it is so simple that it makes us feel stupid that we missed it, at least this is the scenario I am hoping for.:eek:

Nothing personal, but there's lots of suggestions/items noted above that haven't been addressed. Obviously it's your truck and your call, but if you want further help at least address whether or not you' re going to check above things. (example - engine timing).

DougM

We still have to check the timing. We have gone through all the postings and checked everything listed except for the timing. That's next.

Great - let us know.

She works!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

I have very good news. My truck is running, and all it took was a brand spankin' new air flow meter from the most illustrious Cruiser Dan.

What a long and expensive trip. I do appreciate everyone that commented.
There were lots of very good ideas, and you all "learned" me and my husband quite a bit about the workings of a 1994 FZJ80.

Thanks,

:princess:
Marde

I also learned that my local Toyota dealership likes to sell cars, but they don't really believe in service after. I am the second owner of this vehicle. It was purchased brand new from the dealership and by all records was serviced there for a long time. I guess I know why the PO quit getting service done there.

It took them FOUR days to run a thourogh diagnostic on my truck. Chris and I had pretty much decided that the AFM was possibly the problem, but it was a very expensive part and we wanted to be absolutely sure. He called Toyota and told them he needed a diagnostic run. They said to bring it by 8:00 Friday morning. Not a problem. The lady taking the info only asked for a name, phone number, and the keys. We tried to explain the problem and what we had done, but she didn't want to hear it. She asked if it would be easy to find during the test drive. Chris replied, "yes, but I wouldn't pull out into traffic if I were you."

I waited for the call all day, and finally called them at 5:00. They said they were getting a lot of false signals and asked if they could work on it Saturday. Once again, they would take no infomation about what we had done or the symptoms. They would call me with more info before they closed on Saturday.

Not a problem, except once again, I had to call them. This time they said they had been really busy and that they hadn't even looked at the truck. By this time I am getting a little perturbed. I have gotten two different answers on two different days.

Monday I called them late in the afternoon to check on my truck again. Now they are telling me they are getting false signals (again) and they need to work on it Tuesday.

Tuesday I finally get an "urgent message" to call Toyota of Longview. I don't know why it was urgent. They had my truck for four days--they could wait another two hours until I got out of my lab.

The service manager said the problem was the AFM, and the part alone was over $800. I told him I would call him back. I then called C-Dan. I purchased my AFM from Dan for under $500 (with my essay money added in). I called Toyota of Longview back and told them I would pick my truck up and I found the part for under $500. Of course, I didn't mention the essay money, but I did want to inform them that I found a lot better deal.

I guess I got what I wanted from the dealership. I asked them to run a diagnostic, and that is what they did. I just didn't come away from the deal with a warm, fuzzy feeling. I feel the customer service was poor, and communication even worse. I have talked to one of their mechanics since this time and his biggest complaint is the lack of information the mechanics are given.

But the good thing is, my truck is fixed!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Last edited:
You and your husband are patient and positive people. Your post exactly describes what I believe are the worst aspects of dealing with impersonal service organizations - lack of honesty or perhaps lack of information but a willingness to make it up and lie. I don't know which is worse.

Hang on to your AFM if you haven't already tossed it. Someone here may be interested in evaluating it or examining its potential for a future modification. If you still have it, you might post that fact.

I guess the nice thing about this particular installation is that it's about a 15 minute job, eh? I'm trying to recall earlier posts, but do I recall correctly that the previous owner put a K&N filter or something non stock in it?

PS - what city are you guys in?

Regards,

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
You and your husband are patient and positive people. Your post exactly describes what I believe are the worst aspects of dealing with impersonal service organizations - lack of honesty or perhaps lack of information but a willingness to make it up and lie. I don't know which is worse.

I guess I am a little vindictive about it, but it sure did feel good to tell these guys that I had found the AFM for under $500. Their quote for parts and labor was $1000--a fifteen minute job at most!!! The bad thing is that my parents and brother have bought 10 vehicles from this dealership in the last 10 years. Dad was a little upset when he had them change his timing belt on his Tundra. They told him the water pump was bad, and then charged him the labor rates for both the timing belt install AND the water pump install, although they were already in it to change the belt.

IdahoDoug said:
Hang on to your AFM if you haven't already tossed it. Someone here may be interested in evaluating it or examining its potential for a future modification. If you still have it, you might post that fact.

We will hang on to it. I wonder what could be done with it? Where should I post it? I all for the advancement of Land Cruisers!!!

IdahoDoug said:
I guess the nice thing about this particular installation is that it's about a 15 minute job, eh? I'm trying to recall earlier posts, but do I recall correctly that the previous owner put a K&N filter or something non stock in it?

PS - what city are you guys in?

Regards,

DougM

It is actually about a ten minute job. We have had that thing off so many times in the last month we could do it blindfolded.

I actually put the K & N filter in.:eek: This was before I knew better. You don't know anyone that wants to buy a K & N for cheap, do you?:D

We live in Gilmer, Texas. Just a little bitty town, and for the most part, pretty quiet. I do try to make a Utah/Idaho trip every two years or so. I have family in northern Utah, and my dad was raised in Soda Springs. The most amazing thing about being up there is it seems like you can see forever. Down here all you see is trees and there are no mountains. And we don't get snow. I do love Texas, though

Thanks again for all of your help, and thanks to the rest of the Mudders who helped, too.

Marde:princess:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom