“grouping” 80 series ENGINE repairs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i’ve read a ton of threads and am making my way through more. anyone able to help me strategize?

can i “group” engine repair into three (or more) main categories? and if so what can/should i do when i do each?

1. radiator replacement
> all radiator hoses, coolant flush, tStat and (refurb?) fan clutch? 2 new belts?

2. valve cover gasket
> what can/should i include here?
clean throttle body, throttle body gasket, vacuum hoses (not actually sure what these are...), PCV grommet, PCV valve, PCV hose. distributor o ring? 6x spark plugs, 6x spark plug grommets (not sure what these are), distributor o ring, distributor cap (if needed). new rotor if needed?

3 head gasket
> what can/should i include here?
oil pump seal? front main seal?

4. what can i do independently that wouldn’t be a load easier if i put it in with one of the above repairs?
> starter refurb kit?

i’m slowly wrapping my head around the work needed by reading threads but if i can get some “global strategy” i can start to map out a plan.

i have a 97 lx 450 that i am trying to work through.

THANKS

Last edited:
start with the head gasket...and do everything else at the same time.

I did most of these while I had my rad out.

1. radiator replacement
> all radiator hoses (including phh), heater valve, coolant flush, tStat, fan clutch (some replace the fan since it’s old and possibly brittle), oil pump gasket and crank shaft seal(easier with added room with rad out).

1. Add to that the rear heater delete if wanted since the system is empty

If replacing the radiator I'd include these as well:

- Trans cooler hoses
- Oil pump cover gasket and front main seal.
- Radiator hoses
- Check/adjust/replace fan and fan clutch
- Install new belts (3), be sure they are routed correctly
- Full flush and switch to green coolant
- Inspect and if needed replace overflow container and hoses

I like @ZackR list and I would add that if you replace the radiator, do all those listed with the following additions:

Heater control valve
All heater hoses at firewall
PHH (or PHH bypass)
Coolant bypass hose #3 (under intake to TPS)
Other coolant hoses by PHH
Rear heater hoses (or bypass)
Valve cover gasket
Spark Plug Tube seals
Distributor O-Ring
Distributor Cap
Rotor
Spark Plug Wires
Spark Plugs
Power Steering Hoses
Transmission Hoses

I suggest all this because the radiator is out. It makes access to all of these things MUCH easier and less risk of damaging the radiator if done later. I did all these to my truck at one time and it took two weekends and a couple nights in between.

I also did my front and rear axle rebuilds at the same time, but I finished one set before starting the other.

hi gents,

thanks a ton for the help. some dumb questions please as i continue the education and plan for work?

i have these two awesome images from joey’s site and will be doing the heater control valve this week with the constant tension clamps and green stripe. (i also picked up a PHH bypass kit just in case i need to toss it out the window to a fellow 80 series, grab some coffee and come back around to help out.)

is there a way for me to get the list of hoses above (thanks) to correspond to these diagrams (i guess the FSM one i grabbed off the site may not actually be of the late 80 series engine but not sure).

anyway, - i see “small radiator hose kit” and i see “radiator hose kit”. what does “small” refer to? also, the larger image from wits end seems to show three distinct systems (top right, lower left which is radiator hoses - and lower right). what are the other two shown in the larger image? i mean, what are the other two /called/?

also, PHH (part 87245A) is part of the upper right system (i guess this is the “heater hoses at the firewall” but which one is the rear heater hose please?).

“coolant bypass hose” and “other coolant hoses” are just describing the radiator hoses? or is there a way to see which is the coolant bypass hose etcetera in the diagrams and which “system” they go to?

thanks a ton

jon

<edit: duh. “small” refers to the hose diameter i guess. 1/2” as opposed to 5/8”...?>

E53D10FE-96EE-4514-BD3C-566B32530C7B.jpeg

F25776C4-F32D-4F43-853F-D73A75BAA0D7.jpeg

AC3A77B1-2A9C-4BDA-9477-5DEEAACC48E0.jpeg

7D05FE3C-7713-4AA3-88F4-CBBBB62813D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Do what @BILT4ME said.
If you need to replace or upgrade your alternator then include that also as the power steering hoses being out will make that way easier....and then you could also do the fuel filter too.

Really really wish i would have done it that way. Would have saved me many weekends ....many. oh and tons of frustration...

hi guys,
anyone mind helping me organize my notes here so i can type them up? i have a mechanic that may be able to help me wrench on this before the holiday and i was hoping to make sure i have things prioritized.
YELLOW is anything i can easily handle.
GREEN is anything that needs to be cleaned
BOXED is what i call “heavy work” that i’d like a hand with (so it is a priority). actually i see now i put the fusible link in there.
i am hoping to identify mission critical items to tackle while i have help and they have the time. bit slso i want to have a list of preventive maintenance i can list in some order of priority.
can anyone help me get further sorted and identify duplicates or confusion or “you can do it later” items?
THANKS
jon

3BA182CF-EB2C-4645-8F24-FBB875B79D5B.jpeg

426589D4-E907-4705-8B9D-03931E3EBDEA.jpeg

49049701-6438-430A-BEF9-18D068BB841D.jpeg

DD7704BE-0643-4C73-8940-7370EAC77146.jpeg

28407EF8-87D4-4037-972B-4506EBF1B63D.jpeg

Didn't there used to be a "What needs to be done/fixed" thread?

Didn't there used to be a "What needs to be done/fixed" thread?

you mean the one i started? wasn’t sure which one to post this to but it seems like it would fit in either. i can delete it and move it there if it makes more sense.
i’d love to finalize my needs and type them up but also have a general document organizing this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom