GROUP BUY - MMP Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
***GROUP PURCHASE***

Update information and prices included
Group buy benefit detailed towards the bottom of the post!

Hi all. I am organizing a group buy for some MMP ceramic ball bearing turbos built to replace the CT26 found on the 4.2L Toyota diesel 1HD-T & 1HD-FT as well as the CT20B found on the 1HD-FTE 4.2L motors. These turbos will also work well with a turbo 4.2L 1HZ setup.
This is a continuation of my earlier group buy post as I now have a confirmed price structure.

Product highlights
These turbos are 98% Australian manufactured assemblies. Only the ceramic balls (used in the bearings) and the billet compressor wheels are imported. Both of these components are imported out of Germany and MMP do not use any Chinese or South East Asian components in this turbo. All the castings are supplied from local manufactures and all machining is done in Victoria. The bearing cartridges used in these turbos are made in house utilising 10 ceramic balls per bearing supported by steel cages. As MMP make the bearings, assemble, QA and balance in house, the turbo is completely rebuild-able, unlike some ball bearing turbos. As ball bearing turbos require less oil lubrication than journal bearing turbos, an oil restrictor is already installed in the CHRA.

Ball Bearing Turbo Benefits
The major advantage of using ball bearings over journal & bushed bearings in a turbocharger is that the ball bearing cartridge will have up to 50% less shaft torque losses. This means there is less exhaust drive energy required to spin the shaft (including exhaust turbine and compressor wheel). This efficiency gain is contributed to the fact that the ball bearings have a lower frictional loss than the journal bearings at low shaft speeds and that the ball bearings are also designed to handle the thrust loading that is otherwise relegated to thrust bushings. Generally this efficiency benefit translates to a 15% lower engine rpm to spool the turbo and this advantage is maintained up to a shaft speed of approximately 120000 rpm. At this speed the benefits taper off and the two turbo bearing designs will perform comparatively.

Performance
In real world testing on a 1HD-T this turbo has made 545 Ft-lb (738.9 nm) of torque with a peak power of 238 HP (177.5 kW) at all wheels at 25 psi boost pressure. These turbos can deliver 14 psi @ 1650 rpm and 25+ psi @ 1900 rpm and are still capable of efficiently pushing 35+ psi to redline.
I have included a dyno print of one of these turbos fitted on a 1HD-FTE that is also fitted with a performance chip, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, cross country top mount intercooler, safari snorkel, stock air box modified to a 4" exit and 4" pipe work to the compressor housing inlet.

Warranty
All MMP turbos ship with an international, unlimited kilometer 12 month warranty. MMP have stockists in California and Alabama in the USA, Osaki in Japan, Cork in Ireland, Sheffield in the UK, and every state in Australia. Any warranty work will only require a return to a stockist.

Fit Up
The hot side of these turbos will directly bolt up to the stock CT26 exhaust manifold and dump pipe. The compressor delivery outlet is the same size as the 1HD-T & 1HD-FT CT26 so will plumb up to the existing pipe work. The outer diameter of the stock CT26 compressor housings inlet on the 1HD-T & 1HD-FT is 70mm and the compressor inlet on this MMP turbo is 77mm. While this is an increase in size, it can be accommodated by the stock rubber pipe work with the encouragement of a heat gun and some lubrication in the form of dish-washing liquid. For a 1HD-FTE turbo CT20B replacement, modification to both the compressor inlet and outlet pipe work will be required. As these turbos use a custom bearing core CHRA, the stock oil and water lines will require changes.

Recommended Retail Price
These turbos normally sell for the RRP of AU$2550 Inc GST. For this price you receive the turbo, both exhaust housing gaskets, 8 M10 x 1.25 studs, 8 locknuts and the warranty as described above. To fit this turbo to your cruiser you will have to source and fit a waste gate actuator and modify your water and oil lines to suit this CHRA.

Group Buy Benefits
By participating in this group buy you will receive the above turbocharger plus the benefits listed below.
Waste gate Actuator - There will be several choices here depending on your desired boost control method. You may choose a single port waste gate (Turbosmart IWG75) in Black or Blue with your choice of gate spring pressure for standalone use or use with a manual or an electronic boost controller, or you may chose a dual port actuator for use with a compatible electronic boost controller. If you would like to purchase an electronic boost controller as part of this purchase, please see the detail below.
Oil/Water Lines - Shipped with this turbo will be replacement oil supply, oil return and coolant water lines, including all fittings required for assembly. A hard oil supply line is included to adapt/replace your original turbo oil supply line. Using a hard lines retains OEM style reliability and eliminates any potential heat, vibration, wear and or salinity (rust) related issues sometimes found using a braded line in these applications. The oil return line will return the oil to the original stock drain position. The coolant water lines will also be a hard line setup for the benefits listed above.
If you are replacing a 1HD-FTE CT20B turbo, an 'FTE fitting kit' can be supplied with a small cost including 2 silicon adaptors and 2 Wiggins clamps to adapt the turbo compressor housing to your pipe work.

Group Buy Price
The group buy price will vary depending on the number of turbos sold but will include delivery and align with the numbers below.
10 to 15 turbos sold ---> AU$1995 Exc GST, AU$2195 Inc GST
15 to 20 turbos sold ---> AU$1805 Exc GST, AU$1985 Inc GST
20+ turbos sold --------> AU$1660 Exc GST, AU$1825 Inc GST
International Buyers will be charged the above figure excluding GST but will be charged your countries import taxes & duties.
For comparison of the RRP and the benefit gained with this group buy, I will list the RRP of parts included and optional purchases. Note all prices are in AU$ and include 10% GST.
Item____________________RRP_____Group Buy Price
CT26BB________________$2350
Turbosmart IWG75_______$ 220
Hardline Kit_____________$ 350
Postage_________________$ 45
Total___________________$2965______$1825 - $2195 depending on numbers sold
Optional extra purchases as part of the group buy. RRP Vs Group price including GST
Turbosmart Eboost
Street 40psi____________$ 495.95_____$ 410
Turbosmart Electronic
Boost Gauge Kit________$ 124.90_____$ 105
Turbosmart EGT
Gauge Kit_____________$ 203.96_____$ 185
FTE Fitting Kit__________$ 145.00_____$ 100

Delivery
As stated above the group buy price will include delivery. Due to the interest/demand, the expected date for shipment from Victoria will be late April.

Questions & Confirmation
If you would like to participate in this group buy or have any questions, please comment on this post or shoot me a PM. I will try to answer as promptly as I can. If you comment on this post with your interest or intention to purchase I will send you a PM with questions that you will have to answer before the final payment date below. I am happy to accept your commitment based on sale numbers. For example you will commit to a purchase if there are 15 or more people buying but not if there is 14, therefore at the higher price point let me know and I will record this. Please be genuine and realistic. If 30 people say they will purchase at the 20+ price, I will expect 30 people to buy a turbo. If you would like to vary any of the inclusions from what is stated above, comment or send me a PM and I will see what I can do.

Cut Off & Payment Dates
The cut off date to participate in this group buy will be Monday 27th of March. All interested parties will be required to confirm their commitment by this date to qualify for the group purchase.
Once your participation is confirmed, I will send you some questions to answer (e.g. waste gate preference and spring tension) and payment details. This payment will be required in full on or before the 31st of March. Failure to pay will result in your exclusion from this group purchase.

Disclaimer
While I am organising this group buy, I have no affiliation to MMP or this Facebook page/forum. I am organising this group buy because I think this is a great product and by doing this we ALL get this product at a substantial discount!

Updates
As I am posting this group buy on multiple sites I will keep this post updated with interest/commitment numbers as often as I can.
For the people who have expressed interest in this group buy already I will tag you or send you a PM to confirm your interest now that we have hard numbers.
FYI I have 19 people that have expressed interest in this group buy already. This number will change as we progress.

Cheers
Tom Dibdin

Edit to add pics
Edited to correct final payment date

Last edited:
I'm not in the market but intrigued

With the delivered price of 2k AUD I assume that is an approximate price delivered to one of the countries listed as their "stockists?" Or is that delivered worldwide? For myself the preference would be delivered to Canada, but USA would be ok as well.

How much extra for the custom lines/components to be included?

Is there any core charge? (eg. do they want the stock CT26 on my truck).

I'm very interested in USD pricing.

With the delivered price of 2k AUD I assume that is an approximate price delivered to one of the countries listed as their "stockists?" Or is that delivered worldwide? For myself the preference would be delivered to Canada, but USA would be ok as well.

How much extra for the custom lines/components to be included?

Is there any core charge? (eg. do they want the stock CT26 on my truck).
I will confirm this today but I'm sure the final price will depend on the number of people in the group buy, it will include world wide.

If we reach 10+ people in the group, the custom lines will be included in the price. If you don't want them just let me know.

As these turbos use a custom CHRA there is no core charge. You can do whatever you want with your old turbo.

I might be interested. What kind of coins are we talking about here?
The final price will depend on the number of turbos sold. The more people who buy, the cheaper it will be for us all. Once I have a good idea of the numbers involved, MMP will work out a final price.
Final purchase price will be less than AU$2000 delivered, I just can't tell you how far below that number yet.

If you are interested I have been in contact with Graeme to get USD prices on his turbos. Here is an idea of the cheapest model.
Gruntner is $2290 AUD
Shipping to USA $280 AUD
Core charge $300 AUD
Doesn't make sense to not have a backup turbo if the shipping equals the core charge so if I go with that I'm keeping my turbo.
Total- $2870 AUD / $2211 USD

The $2000 MMP = $1540 USD

Hi There have been looking to fit a turbo to my asthmatic 1hz 100 series with 425,000 km I'm Interested but would need plumbing to fit?
Know that i'll need a turbo rear section exhaust and a complete system. Would prefer to leave induction side as the toyota system works so well.
Cheers Tim

Hi There have been looking to fit a turbo to my asthmatic 1hz 100 series with 425,000 km I'm Interested but would need plumbing to fit?
Know that i'll need a turbo rear section exhaust and a complete system. Would prefer to leave induction side as the toyota system works so well.
Cheers Tim

Hey Tim, if you haven't already found it, have a read through this thread and light the fuse on your 1HZzzz with eyes wide open. turboing the 105series 1HZ is a bit of a dubious prospect.

LCOOL.org :: Log in

I'm in the process (slowly) of turboing my 105series, but do so knowing it may be a recipe for pain.

Good advice @mudgudgeon. All this power comes with risk.

@SubaruBoy If you do decide to turbo I think this would be a great choice.
Either way I will keep this thread updated as I go.

****UPDATE* I'm sorry I misunderstood the information that was supplied to me. The compressor side of the turbo will require mods from the factory 1HD-FTE setup. See revised opening post****

Last edited:
If a 3" intake is the only piping modification needed then it's the same as a Gturbo. From their email:

"Fitment hint. Our airside inlet is slightly larger (3”) than the standard turbo (2 7/8”). The standard rubber hose will fit and needs softening with a heat gun to ensure it slips over the turbo inlet. Some washing detergent also helps."

Will not Turbo with out exhaust gas temp pre turbo.
Looking forward to a trip up the range with out any soot:)
Will take Graham's advice on Air full Ratio.
It seams with in reason more boost is better. Diesel by Nature runs very Lean...
More worried about transmission.
Would prefer Air to Air inter-cooling
Will have to change exhaust
Already have upgraded Radiator to a pwr after a crap non genuine experience the gauge does not Budge Very Happy. ( Replaced genuine original At 390K (1999 Built) Due To Crazed plastic didn't want to be let down. wasn't able to keep temps up the Range towing. old one had no issues.
Keep me posted

If a 3" intake is the only piping modification needed then it's the same as a Gturbo. From their email:

"Fitment hint. Our airside inlet is slightly larger (3”) than the standard turbo (2 7/8”). The standard rubber hose will fit and needs softening with a heat gun to ensure it slips over the turbo inlet. Some washing detergent also helps."

Ahaa! Thats probably where I got confused!!

So the stock pipework, while not the same size is still actually usable!
Thanks @vwluv10338 I will have to update the post again to clarify.

It seams with in reason more boost is better.

yep, but the "within reason" bit is questionable in a 105series 1HZ. the piston crowns are thinner than in earlier 80series 1hz. I'm going to run a max of 18psi, maybe only 15psi to wake it up a bit, but hopefully keep it together.
along with everything you listed, I'll also be adding a boost compensator to the IP to give better tuneability to manage EGTs and AFR

UPDATE

I have just updated the opening post with more information including final pricing and cut off dates.
Post here or shoot me a PM with any questions or if you are happy to commit to purchasing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom