Group 31 Tray? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone make a group 31 battery tray for the GX460? I'd like to get the Odyssey and use the Slee terminals.

I'll start googling and researching. Since I'm knew to the Toyota/Lexus world, I'm unfamiliar with the platform and vendors that everyone prefers.

Excellent. I saw that one, but I didn't see the GX460 listed. I was worried there was some sort of unknown variable I was not aware of.

I've used a block of wood, like a 2 x 8 and cut to the length of the battery to raise the Odyssey so the strap holds it down. I did this for my 100 series and worked great! And a lot cheaper.
I only use Odyssey (PC1200) batteries! 👍
On my GX though, YotaMasters made one for me when they did the work on my rig.

Last edited:
They list it under here

Luckily, I work for a company that owns the Odyssey brand. I get them at an insane discount. I run dual batteries in my Jeep and will end up doing the same for the GX.
I haven’t even started looking at secondary battery trays, but will. I love the idea of a 31 up front and another battery somewhere under the hood.

Aren’t group 31 about 13“ long?.. I just installed a 27F and it it basically at 12” limit of the stock 460 tray
Not sure the exact dimensions. I got group 31 northstar on my 470 stock battery location and tray and 460 are practically identical.

It must then fall within these measurements.

screen_shot_2021_04_12_at_1_41_57_pm_cc331e70d96d7662e6148a42b04cb6df95f543f4.png

It is very tight fit. I only got 1/4-1/2 clearance to the radiator hose. But I did not notice any rubbing mark. We are so used to stuffing oversize things to our vehicle anyway.

I’d probably be looking for a different plastic tray under battery....riding that left ridge is probably gonna break that tray in short order. Cool to see it can be slammed in there.... personally I’d be a little uncomfortable with it that close to upper radiator hose.

To piggyback onto this discussion....
I have just started to look at this upgrade myself. Sounds like the battery cables will be too short - how will you address this?

I’d probably be looking for a different plastic tray under battery....riding that left ridge is probably gonna break that tray in short order. Cool to see it can be slammed in there.... personally I’d be a little uncomfortable with it that close to upper radiator hose.

^ 100% my thoughts as well.

To piggyback onto this discussion....
I have just started to look at this upgrade myself. Sounds like the battery cables will be too short - how will you address this?
I would be using the battery terminals from Slee. They extend long enough that all the OEM stuff and cable routing remains unchanged.

Just stuff 2 batteries in that stock location! Similar to my rig.
1618421408693.png

^ 100% my thoughts as well.
My concern would be if that tray snapped it could push further over to upper radiator line. Perhaps not likely but something to consider....

This the battery terminal I use. Got build in volt meter and extra terminals for aux switch, winch and audio system.
The negative is custom made as the OEM are 1" too short.
IMG_20210414_171409.jpg

White thing below the battery is the OEM plastic tray under the battery. This got absolutely no strength. The purpose is to contain a bit of acid spill that is common with lead acid battery. No use at all for AGM battery. If the battery going to break over 1" of overhang no aluminum battery tray going to save it. Because the only way it happens is from heavy collision.
IMG_20210414_171614.jpg

I agree..plastic tray provides no real support.

I was just thinking that if battery wasn't tightened down enough.. the broken plastic piece may shift and allow the battery to move toward the upper radiator hose to cause damage. I'd probably remove and find something solid.

Your battery appears to have indents for the middle bracket that many others lack.

Throughly tightened down and battery shouldn't move though... except bracket failure and that could happen to any installation but can't remember last I read that on any forum I frequent.

A simple idea that will hold your battery rock solid would be a very long hose clamp. You can get long sizes at some hardware stores or here: McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/hose-clamps
On my 100 series LC I used a long hose clamp with shrink tubing around it to avoid any possible corrosion and avoid the possibility of having something touch it and the positive post.
Super strong, simple and cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom