Grinding sound and vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lentelconstruction.com
I have a grinding sound along with a vibration on deceleration when over 80 km/hr. Had the driveshaft straightened and balanced at Pat's along with new U joints. Not sure what else it could be. Any ideas?

Am pulling the trailer to Drumheller, Alberta on Sunday. Crossing my fingers everything holds together.

Hey DD, status?

It's probably the next rotating part in the driveline that is either worn itself or the bearings it rotates on, OR the previous work didn't replace/repair everything it should have.

Whilst I am quite concerned about the reliability of the tiny Dutchmans Land Cruiser vis à vis the success of his family vacation, I must note that it is encouraging to hear that it can actually exceed 80 kmh!

check to see if your shafts is out of phase. The sound your hearing can be common if its out

It's probably the next rotating part in the driveline that is either worn itself or the bearings it rotates on, OR the previous work didn't replace/repair everything it should have.

Maybe 3rd member?

Whilst I am quite concerned about the reliability of the tiny Dutchmans Land Cruiser vis à vis the success of his family vacation, I must note that it is encouraging to hear that it can actually exceed 80 kmh!

But you can see the fuel gauge move when exceeding 80 kmh .

Maybe 3rd member?
lie down under it and check for play on the pinion flanges and the t.case output flanges to see if bearing issues. Check oil levels everywhere. Check front driveshaft as well since its an 80. Even something dumb like broken exhaust or engine mount causing contact/vibration under engine braking. just normal pretrip checks if you haven't looked it over in a while.

lie down under it and check for play on the pinion flanges and the t.case output flanges to see if bearing issues. Check oil levels everywhere. Check front driveshaft as well since its an 80. Even something dumb like broken exhaust or engine mount causing contact/vibration under engine braking. just normal pretrip checks if you haven't looked it over in a while.

How is the smoke in your area? We are leaving Dinosaur Provincial Park, Alberta, tomorrow and trying to decide if we go Banff, Jasper route or drop south as far as Helena, Montana. But I'm thinking there isn't anyway around the smoke .

smoke is everywhere; friends in Creston posting up red suns... i'm headed east to Rock Creek tomorrow myself...

yep. lots of smoke. Creston was worse than nelson. I'm doing some work in Alberta right now up near grande prairie. smoke rolled in overnight here too.

We made the decision to drop down to Montana after Dinosaur Provincial Park. It was a good decision. A lot less smoke down there. The cruiser held up but I still need to locate the grinding on deceleration. Once I've determined it isn't anything too serious I need to find more power in the 4.5L. Looks like I may be going the custom turbo route :) I can't afford the engine conversions.

My loop in two weeks cost me around $1,000 in fuel pulling the 17' trailer. Got some wheelin in 4 low, pulling the trailer off road to the ghost town of Garnet, Montana. Wife wasn't too happy when I ignored the various government signs "not recommended for RVs or trailers". We did pass some random little outback home with a sign spray painted "Trump" though. When we made it to Garnet the park employees gave me the nod and smile of approval. One guy came and talked cruisers for 15 minutes or so.

I should add that there was an easier way in which every other vehicle took but i didn't want to back track 40 miles. I took the 10 mile route, the last 4 in low gear.

IMG_20180821_1821193.jpg

IMG_20180822_1103130.jpg

IMG_20180822_1135301.jpg

IMG_20180822_1154147.jpg

IMG_20180822_1210154.jpg

Have you seen this thread? Bolt on turbo kit

gb

Yes. Been following it a bit. No time line on when it would be available though. I have a local mechanic (owns a race team as well) who is able to do a custom set up. If the bolt on were ready I'd order it but I'm not very patient on this one

How much do those cost to buy a pair? I was told at Express Trailers they don't use those because they
aren't good for lighter offroad trailers, which I actually thought - malarkey!

This past weekend I was looking at some "Tiger Moth" offroad trailers in Langley, and they have this suspension, and are ridiculously light.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K5Ho2EDtm7FYWY2N6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom