Greasing OME leaf springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to put a bit of grease in between my OME leaf springs. I know the little yellow poly wear washers between the leafs have a hole in them to allow for greasing.

So, what tip is used on my grease gun and what grease should I use for this?

Tried a search but didn't find anyting.....

If there are poly/nylon spacers, I might try nylon grease-
usually it's sold for urethane sway bar bushings and such.
The stuff is slippery and pernicious as snot- wear gloves when
you put it on, 'cause it doesn't wash off.

The stuff I have is made by Energy Suspension... works great on
greasable poly bushings...

t

Hey Mainlander!

I use Moly grease- it's what's recommended for the OME Bushings so I figured it would work for the poly spacers.

Here's a picture of the grease gun tip - just a taper with a hole in the tip.
:D
grease fitting.jpg

It's looking like a nice weekend - the frame swap might have to wait until next week. :bounce:

So I greased up my springs last night. All the creaking is gone and the right is just a bit smoother now :D

Did you use a tip similar to the one Freewheel posted in post 3 ?

Thanks, John

No, my buddy Gerg had an actual needle tip that worked really well. I jacked the truck up till I had full droop, then I used a flat head screw driver to open up the springs just a bit more and used the needle tip inbetween each leaf. Took me about 1-1/2 hours to do all four springs.

Grease+Gun+Accessories+-+grease+injector+needle.jpg

No, my buddy Gerg had an actual needle tip that worked really well. I jacked the truck up till I had full droop, then I used a flat head screw driver to open up the springs just a bit more and used the needle tip inbetween each leaf. Took me about 1-1/2 hours to do all four springs.

Good info. Next on my list to do.

Thanks, John

fwiw the grease that TobyB mentions is silicone based, not nylon. Similar to dielectric grease, but much higher lubricative qualities. And he's very right about wearing gloves. I'll add to wear clothes that you don't care about too.

Oh, right, sorry- I meant that it was sold for greasing nylon!

t

I need to drop my springs and remove one or two. It ironman springs that never did have any greese between the leafs. How many leafs should I have? I do carry weight in the back.

Where does one find this tip at? Is it a part store i.e. (checker autozone) item?

Any auto parts store should have both the two types of tips. And seeing as I have both types, I can say that the reason that Mainlander took an hour and a half to do his leafs was trying to squirt grease out of that tiny needle. Get the taper attachment and the same job will take you 45 minutes.
:D:D:D ;)

(the needle is designed for injecting grease into rubber ball joint covers that don't have zerks, the taper moves a lot more grease...)

(ps Mainlander.. the swap started today...) :bounce:

Any auto parts store should have both the two types of tips. And seeing as I have both types, I can say that the reason that Mainlander took an hour and a half to do his leafs was trying to squirt grease out of that tiny needle. Get the taper attachment and the same job will take you 45 minutes.
:D:D:D ;)

(the needle is designed for injecting grease into rubber ball joint covers that don't have zerks, the taper moves a lot more grease...)

(ps Mainlander.. the swap started today...) :bounce:

Thanks for the tips (full pun intended :D )

in my defence, I did open the springs up quite a bit and got the grease about 2/3 the way down the pack. That and my buddy gerg and I took a few chat breaks and one break to take the hood off his 60 :D

Right on about the swap. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom