Gotta get me some poutine ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Soon as I hit the Maine border on Highway 16 … it was new asphalt. Brand-spankin’ new. Absolute heaven. But Western Maine keeps her treasures to herself. The woods are so thick you can’t see anything. Ev’ry once in awhile you get a quick glimpse of a lake through the trees. Sorta like tryin’ to see a nipple through a lace bra. You might see just a tiny bit to get your int’rest up … but not enuff to feel satisfied. :D

But couldn’t resist takin’ a shot of the moose sign. Ain’t seen one yet tho. Pulled into the BMC Diner in Rangely and had a most enjoyable omelet and homefries. :cool:

:flamingo:

03_ME scenery.jpg

04_ME scenery.jpg

05_ME scenery.jpg

Caught Highway 4 outta Rangely and took it down to Highway 2 into Bangor. Really nice ride ‘cross the state. Seen a whole buncha bikes. ‘Course the poor bastards can only ride a few months outta the year up here. Caught 1A and eased on into Bar Harbor. :clap:

06_Bar Harbor.jpg

07_Bar Harbor.jpg

08_bar Harbor.jpg

Lil’ town’s evidently quite the tourist destination … and it’s packed. Checked into a hotel and took the bike into town to grab a beer. Hit quite a few bars and then had an incredible lobster and crab, mac and cheese deal at Finback Alehouse. Setled down now in the Bar Harbor Motel. A not-so mom and pop joint that’s real nice … and priced accordin’ly. Free cookies are delicious. :grinpimp:

09_bike in Bar Harbor.jpg

Can the mooses not drive well or do they get all twisted up and crash????
attachment.php

Nice story pal.

My buddy at the Canadian Border Services said he saw a fellow on a ORANGE Harley drive up to the gate and turn right around, high tailed it south he said. I thought he was jiven me until I came across this thread.

Any way, Bah Hahbor is a fine place to hang out. There is a place in NH called Louden, that has a large influx of bikers about this time of year. 10 or 20 thousand I heard. Did you manage to hook up with any of them.

I was on a road trip one time, many years ago and had every intention of riding the Skyline,. Coming up from NOLA I made a wrong turn in TN somewhere and the next thing I see is a sign sayin Welcome to Kentucky. Oh well, it was all new road to me so I.ll catch it another time.

Sounds like an awesome time. Looking forward to the rest of your trip.

Can the mooses not drive well or do they get all twisted up and crash????

Maine had another sign soon as you cross their border statin' zero tolerance for DUI's on snowmobiles. Maybe the moose crash in the winter when they're drunk on their snowmobiles. :grinpimp:

Looking forward to the rest of your trip.

Thank you sir. :cool:

Seen some groups of bikers but I ride alone. Reckon ain't found nobody that can tolerate my comp'ny. :lol:

Day 13 … 138 miles … 2888 total.

Woke up this mornin’ to a light rain and the smart Folks on the tee-vee were sayin’ a big front would be movin’ through ‘round noonday with bad rains. Oh well … time to go. But had to endure a miserable experience tryin’ to check out of the hotel first. Woman was flat-out incompetent. All she had to do was charge the room to my card. When she couldn’t do it, she got rude with me. I’ll be damned. She finally got me checked out. When I told her it was a good thang she had nice tits or she’d have no reason to live, she started to call the friggin’ cops. Exit stage left. :grinpimp:

I try very hard not to ride in the rain. Don’t really think it’s all that safe. But a light shower at 50 mph is tolerable. Then I hit 10 miles of grooved pavement. Grooved pavement ain’t fun on a scooter … in the rain. But rain let up in hour or so and Highway 1 in Maine is incredible for scenery. Weather didn’t allow pics but it was nice to look at just the same. Pulled into Just Barb’s Restaurant in Stockton Springs and had me some excellent blueberry pancakes. Blueberries are in season right now and Folks are sellin’ ‘em on the side of the road all over. :cool:

Could see the nasty weather front aproachin’. Black as can be. Lots of bid’nesses on the roadway to duck into for cover though so figured I’d just ease right on ‘till it started pourin’. But it never did. Smelled like rain. Looked like rain. Had done rained ahead of me. But never poured on me. Life is good. :clap:

Highway 1 South got jammed up real bad and was stopped for some reason. Seen a sign pointin’ left to Boothbay Harbor so here I am. Didn’t ride very far today but not in a hurry to leave Maine. I like Maine. Checked into The Rocktide Inn. Really nice place with a great restaurant and bar. Had a bunch of beers and a big-ass lobster. :cheers:

First pic is comin’ down the coast. Second pic is lookin’ east across Boothbay Harbor and the last pic is lookin’ out my hotel room west across the harbor.

Got me ‘bout 1600 miles to head back down the coast and tomorrow I’m gonna do somethin’ I ain’t done yet … ride an interstate. Gonna take a few days or so to get ‘round Boston, New York City and Philly. :rolleyes:

01_scenery.jpg

02_Boothbay Harbor.jpg

03_Hotel view.jpg

So did I miss something or did you forget to go to Canada?

White Trash of the Elwood Chapter, TORC4x4.org, Cottonland Cruisers.

So did I miss something or did you forget to go to Canada?

White Trash of the Elwood Chapter, TORC4x4.org, Cottonland Cruisers.

He missed the friggen turn.....never did hear anything about that poutine either......

So because it looks like you didn't make it the great white north...

In your honour on the way home froma date with my honey at the pick-n-pull, we stopped at the bar where our son works and had a meal and cold one.

:beer: to you sir.

Please continue with your report.

poutine.jpg

I knew you could get that in Canada! :grinpimp:

DAY 14 … 405 miles … 3293 total.

Really nice day for a bike ride. Started with the buffet breakfast at the hotel. Normal fare except they had baked beans. I don’t consider that breakfast food. Then again ... beer and tortillas is fine for me. :beer:

Took ‘bout 30 minutes to get back to Highway 1. Which turned into a 4-lane. Which turned into I-295. Which turned into I-95. Out of Maine, out of New Hampshire, and into Massachusetts. Took I-495 to bypass Boston and hit the Mass Pike. All stop. 1st and 2nd gear at best with feet down most of the time. I hate traffic. Not fun on a bike at all. Payin’ tolls sucks too when you’re alone on a bike. Scooters should be free. Traffic got better when turned off on I-84 and shot into Connecticut. Then across New York and pulled off at the first exit in Pennsylvania. Chilly all day and had my leathers on. Most miles I’ve ever put in on a single day on a scooter. She handles real nice though on the open highway. Set the cruise control, crank up the tunes, stretch the legs out on the highway pegs, and eat up the miles. Already miss the mountain twisties though. :frown:

So here I am at the Inn at Hunt’s Landing. Nice bar and restaurant. Life is good. Looks like rain tomorrow though … :meh:

DAY 15 … 234 miles … 3527 total.

Nice thang ‘bout yesterday was I got most my Interstate ridin’ out of the way. And I got just inside Pennsylvania so no helmet law. :clap:

So this mornin’ was 53 degrees and foggy. Got ‘bout 5 miles down a two-lane and had to pull over to add some clothes! Highway 209 was a really nice twisty though the Delaware Gap National Recreation Area. Sun came out briefly and I snapped a pic. :cool:

Deleware River.jpg

Wound my way down through Pennsylvania on 209 – I80 briefly - 33 – I78 briefly – 100 – 202. Shot me into Delaware in Wilmington where I caught I95 briefly and then took 13 south. Sun came out and I peeled off the leathers … prob’ly for the last time. :D

Very lil’ highway miles, no rain at all … and no helmet. Damn good day. :cheers:

So here I sit in Harrington, DE. The mom-and-pop hotels looked lil’ rough and were advertisin’ hun’erd bucks a week. No thanks. Checked into a Holiday Inn Express instead. But if you ever find yourself in Harrington, DE … make a point to go to Stone’s Bar. :beer:

DAY 16 … 229 miles … 3756 total.

It’s rainin’ like hell at the moment … I can see it as I look out the hotel window. :grinpimp:

But squeezed in another good bike ride today. Eased all the way down through the farmin’ country of the DelMarVa peninsula on Highway 13. Not much traffic and a good road. Sorta peaceful. Then paid my 12 buck toll and crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. That was a really cool ride. Pollution in the two long tunnels was pretty brutal though. Never notice it in a vehicle. Long-ass bridge part of it was very nice. :cool:

That put me into the Virginia Beach area on I-64. Damn poor road surface. Dang near bounced me off my mount more than a few times. More than happy to turn south on Highway 17 and leave that s*** behind. :rolleyes:

But the rain clouds were black on the horizon. Elizabeth City, NC was bout 20 miles ahead and it weren’t lookin’ good. Eased on into the throttle and the race was on! :bounce::bounce2:

Made it to town just as it was startin’ to rain and immediately pulled under a hotel canopy. Only got a few drops. Hell with it. Just checked into the hotel and left the scooter sittin’ right there under the canopy. 7-11 store right in the same parkin’ lot. Styrofoam ice chest, bag of ice, and a 12-pack … 23 bucks. Life is good. :beer:

Lookin’ like rain rest the way back though … :meh:

Then paid my 12 buck toll and crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. That was a really cool ride. Pollution in the two long tunnels was pretty brutal though. Never notice it in a vehicle. Long-ass bridge part of it was very nice. :cool:

Took that bridge/tunnel by car this summer. Unique stretch of road indeed. Safe travels to ya.

If you stay in Savanah let me know. I know a guy who would sit down and drink with you. One of the young guys who wheeeled with us at ICBM one year. He's an Army Ranger stationed there now.

DAY 17 … 318 miles … 4074 total.

Plan for the day was to just ride as far as I could before I got drenched. Hit the ground runnin’ early this mornin’ and off I went. Rode Highway 17 south right down the NC coast. Familiar ground here as I’ve ridden this before when I was workin’ in the area. But I still like the road. Sometimes you’re at a stoplight in a small town … sometimes your cruisin’ along at the posted speed limit of 70 … and ev’rythang in between. Weather was crazy. Black clouds at times but bright sunshine at times as well. And not a drop of rain on my sorry ass. Got all the way to the border and took a small break for gas and to yank the helmet off for South Carolina. Eased on in to one of my favorite bars in the country … the Swingbridge Saloon in Little River, SC for a lil’ refreshment and to check the weather on the tee-vee. Gotta admit that one of them smart phone deals would have been damned handy on this trip for the GPS and the weather. But ain’t got one. Looked like I had a shot at gettin’ south of Myrtle Beach before the rains hit so off I went.

When you clear the madness of Myrtle Beach, the tourist bikers take a right into the huge Harley dealer … and the local bikers take a left into The County Line Saloon. Obviously I went left. :grinpimp:

Made it on down to Murrell’s Inlet. This is the home of all the action for Bike Week around here at the famous bars. And a good time as well when it ain’t Bike Week. I know this strip all too well. Hit a few of my favorites for a brew or two … Suck, Bang, Blow … The Beaver Bar … The Dead Dog Saloon … and Jackson’s Inlet Bar and Grill. And checked into the very biker friendly Brookwood Inn right on the strip. Nice lil’ place but ain’t got no internet.

Got wet bar hoppin’ but not bad. And once again, the weather tomorrow ain’t lookin’ good. Was damned lucky again today and stayed dry though so maybe my luck’ll hold. We’ll see … :meh:

Day 18 … 444 miles … 4518 total.

Forecast weren’t pretty at all. Weather Channel sayin’ rain on the entire Southeast Coast all day. Time to go. :rolleyes:

Weren’t sure if there was black clouds or not when I pulled outta the parkin’ lot. Friggin’ fog was so thick you couldn’t see halfway up the trees, much less the skies. Interestin’ ridin’ a scooter at 65 in dense fog. Sorta eerie … and stupid. Made it somewheres between Georgetown and Charleston when the fog cleared up and it was obvious the sexy lady on the Weather Channel was correct. Black clouds … and solid. Just keep rollin’. :eek:

Hit I-95 and set the cruise on 70 and watched it rainin’ all around me. Got to just about Savannah when it started to rain on me. Was just at an exit so I veered off the superslab. Right at the top of the exit was a Waffle House. Don’t believe in coincidences. 2 waffles and a cup of coffee later, rain had stopped and off I went. Made it all the way across Georgia and clouds actually broke as I crossed the line into Florida and read the big-ass sign proclaimin’ “Welcome to the Sunshine State”. :D

By the time I got through Jacksonville though there was just a wall of death of black clouds stretchin’ across in front of me. Knew my luck had run out. Didn’t wanna get hit with the s*** on the Interstate so I jumped on Highway 1. Started rainin’ right-steady as I pulled into St. Augustine. Pulled into The Bar None for coupla cold ones and a weather check. Radar showed worst stuff was just inland. Down the beach on A1A was green rain on the radar … not the nasty yellow and red stuff a few miles away. Also showed it cleared right before Daytona Beach. Time to go. :rolleyes:

My lil’ Marmot lightweight backpacking raincoat really proved it’s worth. Didn’t help much from the waist down tho. :lol:

Rode for ‘bout an hour doin’ ‘bout 50 thru the rain. Still don’t think it’s very safe. Sure ain’t very fun. Need a taller windshield and some lower fairings like the big cruiser bikes got for this kinda stuff. But it was really cool to see blue sky on the horizon and just work my way to it. And then the rains stopped. Deep blue skies and not a single cloud past the front. Pulled into a gas station and shed the helmet and rain coat. Used the paper towels at the gas pump to dry off some. And eased on. :cool:

Perfect way to end a 4500-mile scooter trip is on Main Street in Daytona Beach. Had a few at Froggy’s and Boothill Saloon. Then eased on to my starting point in New Smyrna Beach, FL.

It was one helluva trip. :cheers:

DAY 19 … 15 feet.

Gotta load the scooter into the trailer and haul-ass back up to Baltimore for next project. :D

Final thoughts and financial summary for the trip to follow in a few days. :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom