Gotta get me some poutine ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KOWBOY

President
Threads
Website
www.elwoodwhitetrash.com
No … as a matter of fact, I don’t mean poontang … I mean poutine. :cool:

I hear tell it’s some sorta Canadian thang … and in true Kowboy fashion … I’m fixin’ to be on a Mission From Gawd to go get me some. :cheers:

Accordin’ to Wikipedia:

“In the basic recipe for poutine, French fries are covered with brown gravy, and topped with fresh cheese curds. The French fries are of medium thickness, and fried so that the inside stays soft, while the outside is crunchy. The gravy used is generally a light chicken, veal or turkey gravy, mildly spiced with a hint of pepper, or a sauce brune which is a combination of beef and chicken stock, originating in Quebec. Heavy beef or pork-based brown gravies are rarely used. Fresh cheese curds (not more than a day old) are used. To maintain the texture of the fries, the cheese curd and gravy is added immediately prior to serving the dish. The hot gravy is usually poured over the cold cheese curds, so that the cheese is warmed without completely melting. It is important to control the temperature, timing and order in which the ingredients are added so as to obtain the right food textures which is an essential part of the experience of eating poutine.”

Damned if readin’ that and lookin’ at the picture below don’t make my mouth water and my veins clog up! :eek:

So I reckon I’m gonna hop on the lil’ red scooter in the mornin’ and ease on up 'cross the border to The Great White North in search of a big ol’ plate of poutine and an ice-cold Molson or two. :beer:

Mite just take me awhile tho … right now I’m in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. :grinpimp:

Stay tuned if’n you’ve a mind to …

:flamingo:

Poutine.jpg

This thread had my interest for a minute....:flipoff2:

This is really good eating. Used to get me some everytime I went to CANADA.

This thread had my interest for a minute....:flipoff2:

Great to hear your medication is helpin' increase your attention span sir. :flipoff2:

DAY 1 … 259 miles

Great start to the day with a stop 20 miles down the road at Gram’s Kitchen in DeLand, Fl for a heapin’ plate of biscuits and gravy. :cool:

Highway 17 North takes a Fella thru Pierson and then Seville, FL … the proclaimed fern capital of the world. Far as the eye could see in any direction was these covered and walled-in fields. Wonder how much dope they got growin’ in there to? :idea:

Just shy of Palatka is a famous biker bar called Cheyenne Saloon. Had to wash down them biscuits. :beer:

Then came Raiford, FL. Now as far as the eye could see was prisons. Helluva site. :eek:

Had to stop at the Georgia state line to strap on my lid since they’re one of the Communist states that outlaw my personal freedoms and force me to wear a helmet. :mad:

Highway 121 into Georgia was nice 2-lane through the trees … and nothin’ but trees. Nice ride. :clap:

Luck with the weather ran strong on this first day. Prob’ly a dozen times I was on wet asphalt where it had just rained but I never got a sprinkle. Soon as I pulled under the canopy to check into the hotel it started pourin’. :D

But alas … Cowboy Jack Clements done wrote a lie!

… and he got the likes of Bobby Bare, Gram Parsons, Don Williams, and Charley Pride to spread it for him (although for what it’s worth, I still think the 1960 version by Hank Snow is the best).

I know this ‘cause I’m sittin’ here right-smack-dab in the middle of Waycross, GA.

And there ain’t no Tiger Mountain ‘round here … much less a hole in the side of it by the name of Miller’s Cave. And nobody seems to recollect Big Dave … “the meanest man in Waycross, GA”.

Surely there’s a bar ‘round here tho … :grinpimp:

Cheyenne Saloon_Palatka, FL.jpg

DAY 2 … 206 miles … 465 total.

Rough start to the day with the free breakfast buffet at the hotel … prob’ly not worth the price. :rolleyes:

Eased on up Highway 1 and 17 through the Georgia pines. Seen lots of trees, lots of onions, and lots of motocross/truck pull/mud pits. Must be some rednecks in these parts. :hillbilly:

Lots of small towns. Waved to whole bunch of dif’rent old men sittin’ out on porches.

One problem was the lil’ gas stations had two flavors … diesel and 87 octane. Scooter won’t run on either. :meh:

Pulled into Wadley, GA on less than fumes. Judgin’ by the reaction of the locals … reckon I’m the first white man they seen in a damned long time. :D

No sun at all … but no rain neither. An excellent day for ridin’ the two-lane.

Loggin’ trucks suck … gravel trucks suck worse.

Railroad tracks on backroads had best be approached with caution on a scooter.

So made it to the Red Land Motel in Washington, GA. Built in 1953 and remodeled in the 60’s at best. Owner’s damn friendly tho and they got free wi-fi.

Believe I’ll ease ‘cross the street for a 12-pack and sit on the rocker out front. :beer:

All them years of Toyota experience should have learned ya to carry a jerry can.
LOL
Enjoy the ride! N

One problem was the lil’ gas stations had two flavors … diesel and 87 octane. Scooter won’t run on either. :meh:

. :beer:

get ya couple of bottles of Octane booster, used to carry it in my saddlebags, my Harley pinged like a mofo on regular.

How far north you ridin sir?

Done said I was goin' to Canada ... please pay attention in class sir. :rolleyes:

All them years of Toyota experience should have learned ya to carry a jerry can.

Wish I had room! :bang:

get ya couple of bottles of Octane booster, used to carry it in my saddlebags, my Harley pinged like a mofo on regular.

That sir is nuthin' short of BRILLIANT!! Woulda got me out of a bind the other day. I'll pick some up in the mornin'. Thank you kindly. :cheers:

DAY 3 … 223 miles … 688 total.

Eased on up 17 not so early this mornin’ to a lil’ breakfast joint in Elberton, GA. Eggs, sausage, hash browns, biscuit, and coffee … 5 bucks. Most excellent. :clap:

Crossed under I-85 and bailed off of 17 at Toccoa, GA onto a lil’ road named 123. An amazin’ thang happened here … the road had curves! Little did I realize what this started. :cool:

Stopped at the South Carolina border and exercised my legal choice as an American citizen and strapped my silly (but DOT legal) helmet to my bag. :censor:

Caught 183 in Westminster to get where I’ve been wantin’ to get … Walhalla, SC … the beginnin’ of the Moonshiner Highway (go to Moonshiner28.com for great description of road and history if’n you’d like). :meh:

Just outta town, passed a bar with the owner puttin’ the “open” sign out. Made a U-turn for a cold one. Unfortunat’ly, “The Last Chance” did indeed prove to be the last friggin’ chance. :beer:

Last Chance Saloon.jpg

Last edited:
All too soon the Moonshiner put me back in Georgia. Actually a pull-out there for all the bikers to strap on helmets. Then into North Carolina.

My life literally will never be the same. Without an exaggeration … I carved more curves this afternoon then the previous 17,000 miles on the bike COMBINED! It took a good 30 or 40 miles for me to start getting’ the hang of slingin’ the scooter side to side with any kinda rhythm at all. It was an ugly start but I was forced to learn on the fly or give up … and I weren’t givin’ up. I ain’t claimin’ to be draggin’ knees and pegs but By Gawd I was carryin’ momentum from one to the next by the end of the day. I could not even begin to tell you what was on the side of the road that I rode on and my arms are sore but it was nothin’ short of thrillin’! :bounce::bounce2::bounce:

I did pull over for a coupla breaks and snapped some pics. Here’s a real famous waterfall you can ride behind for photo ops. Line was like an amusement park though so I took a quick pic of some total strangers and eased on. :lol:

Next shot is a rare wide spot in the road.

drive under waterfall.jpg

road and creek.jpg

So here I sit in the San-Ran Motel in one of the motorcycle capitals of the world … Robbinsville, NC. Dam nice ol’ motel. Ate a huge chef’s salad and homemade peanut butter pie at Lynn’s Restaurant (a must stop). Only problem is that in all the literature I studied up on … sure as hell never seen mention of the miserable, friggin’ fact that this is a dry county. :bang:

Prob’ly just as well tho. Gonna need my wits about me tomorrow. Weren’t sure I was gonna do it or not when I pulled outta Florida … but runnin’ the Moonshiner gave me enough confidence to give ‘er a go. Tomorrow I ride the Tail of the Dragon ... :eek::eek:

32 Motorcycle fatalities on this 11 mile stretch since 1992...........you have a death wish?

I saw this on Hell Roads...

Very pretty countryside.
You really need a helmet cam or a cam mounted to the cycle.
;)
Carry on!

... you have a death wish?

No sir. I gotta wish to live. Live life to the fullest. :cool:

You really need a helmet cam ...

Seen a bunch of the boys on the crotch rockets with 'em today. They drag their knees when they ride and I reckon they must have balls that drag when they don't. Lots of videos on UTube if ya search tail of the dragon. :clap:

DAY 4 … 171 miles … 859 total.

WOW!! :bounce::bounce2::clap::bounce2::bounce:

I’d like to consider myself somewhat of a wordsmith, but I’m at a loss.

How in the hell do you describe the feelin’ of bein’ on a loaded-down Harley bagger approachin’ a 35-mph curve … while doin’ 70?? :eek:

Research indicates that the odds of encounterin’ Johnny Law on the Loop are lowest in the mornin’ and on a week day. Therefore, I left the hotel early with but a single goal … never, ever let my speed get DOWN to the posted speed limit. Fawk Johnny Law … I came to ride. :cool:

And ride I did. Didn’t blow a turn a single time. Only time I crossed the double-yellow was to illegally pass the old men on their Harleys. Scraped the paint off the bottom of both my dropped saddle bags. Took years off my brakes and drivetrain. And it was a dream come true.

Buy a bike. Rent a bike. Friggin’ steal a bike. Do whatever ya gotta do in order to ride the Cherohala Skyway/Tail of the Dragon Loop before you die. (Most excellent information on all roads in this area are found on tailofthedragon.com)

Obviously didn’t stop for no pictures. Except this one in front of the sign at the begginnin’ of the Skyway warnin’ of the curves ahead. And the only reason I stopped there was to put on my leather jacket. Gets up to a mile high and was chilly this mornin’. Doubt if y’all had to wear a jacket today to stay warm. :flipoff2:

sharp curves.jpg

So here I sit at the really nice River’s Edge Motel in Cherokee, NC. Only ‘bout 30 miles closer to The Great White North than I was yesterday though. :meh:

Interestin’ town. Evidently the whole damn place is on a reservation. Downtown is a Disney street gone bad with one cheesey shop after another hockin’ moccasins, beads, and feathers. Can’t buy beer here neither. Evidently can’t have the damned indians gettin’ drunk … but it’s OK for them to wear plastic feathers and stand in front of fiberglass buffaloes to get a few photo-op bucks from the tourists. Must make their ancestors proud. :rolleyes:

Backtracked off the reservation earlier to an Exxon station and got me a 12-pack though so life is good. Earlier was watchin’ the fat people float down the river from my balcony. When they say River’s Edge … they mean it. Now it’s rainin’ to end all. And the forecast don’t look much better for tomorrow. Day 5 mite be a rough day on the scooter.

hotel balconey.jpg

great story...sent the link to my ex, who likes to do them long ass trips on a regular basis. i remember cutting curves with another....you aren't cutting them until your pegs are sparking off the pavement...never did get used to that:eek:

ride safe

DAY 5 … 228 miles … 1087 total.

A day spent ridin’ a Harley on 184 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway is a day worth livin’ my friends. :cheers:

01_enter Parkway.jpg

Eased up the road a few blocks from the hotel this mornin’ and grabbed a damn-fine plate of biscuits and gravy at Peter’s Waffle House. Then just a few miles further brought me to mile marker 469 of the Parkway … the southern end. Didn’t take long to get up in the clouds that give the Smokey Mountains their name. Had to slap on the chaps as well as the leather jacket and gloves with fingers. Went in and out of the clouds all day long. One breath-taking overlook after another. Nice sweepy curves and not much traffic today except right around the Ashville area. Speed limit on the whole road is 45 but that’s a nice comfy speed to see the sights and handle the curves. Went through a whole bunch of tunnels too. Very dark in ‘em and my pipes echoin’ was ‘bout deafenin’. It’s really cool to go that far with out civilization, stop signs … nothin’ but overlooks. :cool:

02_in the clouds.jpg

03_scenery.jpg

04_scenery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom