Got some work done recently, and more to come (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening all,

My mechanic recently did a value adjustment, carb tuning and replaced the distributor on my ‘87 FJ60. All went well and now the truck is purring as it should, but the fan is screaming! The clutch is seized and the whole unit needs to be cranked off and a new water pumps needs to go in.

I was curious if there are any strong opinions on brand of pump. I’ve been looking at the City Racer pumps but I was wondering has anyone run into trouble with these?

Thanks in advance for you time!

AISIN pump from Rock Auto:

Same as OEM but without the Toyota box and price to go with it. HTH.

Edit: Would also suggest OEM gasket. P/N: 16271-60012 I believe.

Can get it here or Toyota counter:

Last edited:
The fan clutch is fastened to the water pump with four special M8 flanged nuts. The only way to remove them and tighten them is with an open ended wrench. If the nuts are on there tight, the corners of the hex of the nut that the wrench grabs can get rounded a bit. If a nut gets rounded while struggling to remove it — you're in trouble.

My advice: always replace the four fan clutch nuts with new ones when replacing the clutch . Better safe than sorry

image.jpeg

The fan clutch is fastened to the water pump with four special M8 flanged nuts. The only way to remove them and tighten them is with an open ended wrench. If the nuts are on there tight, the corners of the hex of the nut that the wrench grabs can get rounded a bit. If a nut gets rounded while struggling to remove it — you're in trouble.

My advice: always replace the four fan clutch nuts with new ones when replacing the clutch . Better safe than sorry

View attachment 2664907
This man speaks the truth about deez nuts!

Pro tip: I took one of my good 12mm wrenches and ground down the box end skinny so it would slide in between and over those nuts. Much better with a box end over those if you can swing it.

I've had that Aisin water pump for almost 50,000 miles on my 2F. It has worked great. WPT028 for $80

I started off with a factory style Aisin fan clutch, but I've since gone to the upgraded 3FE 80 series fan clutch. It costs a little more at $120, but it works much better for me and its a drop in. I will only use that model on my 2F and 3FE trucks.

FCT049 and I buy from rock auto.

Thank you all!

Looks like Aisin is the way to go.

@HemiAlex I love this idea. I live in Hawai’i near the ocean so any drop in upgrades are greatly appreciated, especially when it comes to engine cooling!

^^ What Alex said.

I've had that Aisin water pump for almost 50,000 miles on my 2F. It has worked great. WPT028 for $80

I started off with a factory style Aisin fan clutch, but I've since gone to the upgraded 3FE 80 series fan clutch. It costs a little more at $120, but it works much better for me and its a drop in. I will only use that model on my 2F and 3FE trucks.

FCT049 and I buy from rock auto.
Is the FCT049 the "Blue" fan clutch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom