Got Shafted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Mar 3, 2014
Threads
27
Messages
432
Location
Warrenton, VA
It’s midnight. I have get up in five hours for work. Up late installing a twin stick kit. The shaft on my split case that controls high/low fell into the case. WTF? Is the only solution to pull the entire transfer case now? No way I’m getting it back out from the top with only two inches of clearance. Like my grandma used to say….so mad I could spit!

1980 FJ40, H42 + split case

IMG_3186.webp


IMG_3188.webp
 
you're not the first one that this has happened to.
I'd remove the pto cover plate and see if there is a way to work something in there and pry the lever back up before splitting the case
 
Got that sucker back out using two magnets, then clamped it with a skinny pair of vice grips, and used one of my daughters hair bands to hold it in place.

Anyone know if it’ll stay up if I twist it or will it always want to fall back in?

IMG_3190.webp


IMG_3191.webp


IMG_3192.webp
 
Thanks for that. Last night I was able to pull the shaft up more to where it seated inside the notch. The key was to wrap a rubber band around it, slide it down, and that held it in place while I slid the new lever arm on from the top.

I connected the linkage and took it for a test drive. Everything worked perfectly. The independent levers provide very good feel of positive engagement. Very pleased that I averted a full T-case tear-down.

Thanks for the help.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom