Got My MTR's (305/70-16) Pics! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleeoffroad said:
Maybe I need to just clarrify a little. We wanted to retain the complete bolt on approach for the main bumper as it has always been, but offer the 2" receiver that does not hang below the bumper for people that want that. The only way to do that is to stick the receiver into the rear cross member.

So we have now changed the bumper to have a large rectangular cutout where the 4 holes are on the rear crossmember. The bumper as shipped is supplied with a cover plate that gets bolted (using the existing holes). Not mods and the bumper is still 100% bolt on.

Now the receiver part we are developing will go through this hole and bolt on. However the catch is that you will be required to cut a whole in the rear crossmember and drill 4 mounting holes through the bumper and rear crossmember. That is it. The designed is based on how CDan did his receiver and I have to thank him for his work when he did this mod earlier.

No mods need to made to the bumper itself. Drilling the holes is not less of an issue than doing it when installing a Kaymar and having to drill the holes for the latch or cutting the crossmember is less intrusive on the truck than removing the complete rear crossmember like the 4x4 Labs bumper. Nothing against any of those products, just wanted to clarrify the desing and installation.

The receiver piece will be a optional piece.

so this receiver module will be bolted on *both* the bumper itself and the cross-member then, so as to combine their strength?
The new hole in the cross-member is to let the tail of the hitch go through, I imagine?

The rig looks great with the new tires -- nice/lucky timing with the 305 pick up. :D

If you make it to Surf-n-Turf again, you should be able to touchy-feely all sorts of rear bumpers...80 series rear bumpers that is... ;)

e9999 said:
so this receiver module will be bolted on *both* the bumper itself and the cross-member then, so as to combine their strength?
The new hole in the cross-member is to let the tail of the hitch go through, I imagine?

Hey Christo! We need pics! :D :D

NorCalDoug said:
The rig looks great with the new tires -- nice/lucky timing with the 305 pick up. :D

If you make it to Surf-n-Turf again, you should be able to touchy-feely all sorts of rear bumpers...80 series rear bumpers that is... ;)

I definately want to have it by then!

e9999 said:

Yes, the receiver tube will go through the crossmember. It will connect to the frame on the rear with an additional support.

Right now I do not have photo's. Will post as soon as I can.

sleeoffroad said:
Yes, the receiver tube will go through the crossmember. It will connect to the frame on the rear with an additional support.

Right now I do not have photo's. Will post as soon as I can.

Cool, thanks, keep us updated! i also just replied to your email

thanks
kevin

If the production piece is like mine, the receiver tube transits the crossmember/bumper and the forward end bolts to a crossmember I added. The tube looks like a huge hollow nail and the "head" is what bolts to the bumper face.

I can suggest another way to provide a hitch with no loss of ground clearance.

Picture the stock factory hitch. Remove (cut off) the receiver, which is the square tube that receives the towbar. Cut out the center of the cross hitch tube, and weld the receiver tube into the middle of the hitch cross bar. I haven't measured, so you may need to use a longer receiver tube.

Next, cut your square hole in the bumper and cross member. Now install the modified factory hitch upside down from factory position, using the factory frame captured nuts

Viola! The cross tube and receiver tube are now inbetween the frame rails instead of hanging below. No loss of ground clearance. The bumper is not at all involved in carrying the tow loads.

cruiser larry said:
I like your tires.How much lift do you have.

Thanks

Those are the "Non J" 850 and 863 OME HD Springs with the 1" (actually really only 1/2") Mr G spacers in the front! I love it!

Nice looking rigs Kevin.

Its been a long time since we the last time we wheel together.

Augie said:
Nice looking rigs Kevin.

Its been a long time since we the last time we wheel together.

Thanks Augie. When did we last wheel together. I am having a hard time putting the name to the face. Sorry

Thanks

Yankee toys fall outing in fall 99
Remember my grey turbo Mini truck?

Augie said:
Yankee toys fall outing in fall 99
Remember my grey turbo Mini truck?

Hmm, think so, roll over, drove home with no windshield and you wife was pregnant at the time? Same guy?

Yep, thats me.

I saw Mike Fox, Karl bellve and Bud Rossenberger sometimes post in here also.

Augie said:
Yep, thats me.

I saw Mike Fox, Karl bellve and Bud Rossenberger sometimes post in here also.

Hey Augie! Good to hear from you, yes i remember you! Hows things? Shoot me an email: speicher@san.rr.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom