Good Afternoon...I have a 2008 Yellow FJ!

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by Habano, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Habano

Habano

I was a member but lost all my information so re-registered today. I love my FJ but at 60 mph have incredible steering wheel shake.

No trouble other than that.

I'm a former state cop; current owner of pipe/cigar shop in Asheville, NC. Have a wife of 42 years and a now 9 tear old yellow Lab named Crew.

2. 1911

1911 chupacabra

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome (back) to Mud.

Check and see if there's any mud stuck on the back side of your wheels; if not, have them re-balanced - you may have thrown some wheel weights off.

3. Habano

Habano

I went further...bought new tires, after re balancing the old ones, new tie rod ends, etc...still wash board shake at about 55-60 the smooths out above 66...no trouble before 60...oh yeah..fron end alignment too.

4. alabamatacomaguy

alabamatacomaguy SILVER Star

I remember a couple threads on the fjcruiser forum a couple years back where this was a problem that several people had. Like what 1911 said I think most people found it to be the tires balanced but you already addressed that problem. I think I remember one or two cases being an out of round wheel.

Can the mechanics at the tire shop help you at all figure out the source of the vibration. I know one time I could have sworn it was the pass front tire on a vehicle I had that was vibrating but the mechanic fixed the rear drivers side.
    If youve spent money with them and the vibration is still there I would pressure them to help solve the problem since its there job. Doesnt have to be done in a mean way, Ive gotten more help by being nice than demanding something.

This forum is great and I always hope the fjcruiser part will get more lively but a search on the other one might give you some examples of the exact problem and solution. This one may as well with searching but I know that one is so vehicle specific its worth mentioning.

5. lgrt

lgrt

Media:
    Welcome... that shimmy can be tough to chase down. good luck getting to the bottom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.