Good aftermarket radio

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by graham5david, Sep 18, 2018.

1. graham5david

graham5david

My factory radio is starting to make a whining noise on and off. Sounds like an electric motor going out .I love the factory look but am torn between finding a replacement or going aftermarket. Any advice? Pics etc....

2. RAGINGMATT

RAGINGMATT Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Approch..... Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Buy another Used one of the same modle # on ebay , If u buy from a reputable supplier / seller u should be ok

3. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave Moderator SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I've also heard that Scion head units are a direct fit, if you wanted to keep it rather stock looking but add blue tooth.

4. Cruiser Corps

Cruiser Corps Toyota Land Cruiser Parts | Oklahoma City | USA Supporting Vendor

Scion works well in 62s Not sure what we are working with. Not really a factory look. More of an upgrade.

5. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave Moderator SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The Scion unit is apparently the exact same double DIN size head unit without having to add one of those Crutchfield bezel adapters.

SC0411XB-KZKSADXX-2.jpg

6. graham5david

graham5david

I think I am just going to go back factory .

old87yota likes this.
  7. GWcruiser

GWcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    A whine may not be the radio, but the alternator or filter between the alternator and the radio. Especially possible if the whine changes tone as the engine revs.

8. graham5david

graham5david

It's literally coming from the radio. I can feel it vibrating .it's not from the speakers. I'm going to pull it first and see if the noise stops .

9. LouisianaFJ

LouisianaFJ

i've been having similar noise, almost like a CD is still spinning or something. ALso my display just blacks out sometimes.

I've done complete system swaps builds in the past, but for my FJ just looked for a nice/cheap replacement and Crutch-field has a Pioneer unit for $200 + $70 for adapter to maintain steering wheel controls and aux input. Does everything I'm looking for, so I'll probably go that route.
    Plus i like the additional camera input, eventually add one to my front bumper for when i'm on the trails and want to see right in front the truck.

firensteel and graham5david like this.
  10. alabamatacomaguy

alabamatacomaguy SILVER Star

on the fj cruiser blue forums you used to could score a stock unit for free to about 50 bucks.

A guy I follow on instagram put a tablet type touch screen unit in that looks to fit exact and he said was around 2-300 I believe. It looked nice enough that I considered doing and I usually dont care for things like upgraded radio. I think it had bluetooth as well

graham5david likes this.
  11. GWcruiser

GWcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Might be easier to just pull the RADIO fuse than try to get to the back of the unit to pull plugs loose. What's funny is that there isn't anything in a car radio these days that would making noise - older radios had inverters to make power, but most of today's radios don't - they use bridge amps instead. - unless it's a CD player, too. And that motor only runs when a CD is inserted thus ejecting any CD would test that theory.

12. graham5david

graham5david

It sounds like the CD player but I haven't messed with it yet. I agree the fuse is probably the easiest route.

13. jamesepoop

jamesepoop

Went with a Joying android unit. Super happy with aftermarket. It took me a bit to figure out the settings but after that's handled, everything has been cherry. My expandable memory and bluetooth work great for music, while passengers are happy when I put on a movie or youtube videos for them to watch

ROTM-10.JPG

14. graham5david

graham5david

Definitely an interesting interior. I like the tablet and phone mounts. And the mirror. Exterior pics?

15. jamesepoop

jamesepoop

Here's one more of the radio that I found. I Think it's the 8.5" screen that Joying offers. I hear the 10" would fit too with some trimming. My exterior looks like every other '07 silver out there lol.

20171202_141908-01.jpeg

FullSizeRender-2-01.jpeg

1911 likes this.
  16. graham5david

graham5david

Reminds me of my old 07 except mine had the diamond plate trim. Love the titanium silver

FB_IMG_1454690873610.jpg

jamesepoop likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.