going to the dark side, have a couple ??s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

slight correction to above...shifter moves between reverse and where fourth would be i have third, fourth and fifth gears, and over to the right and down for reverse...will not budge towards first and second gear.

Last edited:
An 87 with a 22r:confused: That's a first for me.

got it running...poorly, but it's running. i'll have to burn 7 month old gas out.

tried driving in 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse and it doesn't budge in any of those gears...acts like it's till in neutral.

The trucks kept the 22R for a while, the 4Runners all had EFI from 85 on. I saw a 92 2WD with a 22R in a junk yard, seemed wierd.

say drop the rear drive shaft off the t-case, have someone hold the clutch in and see if you can turn the tranny while it's in gear by hand at the T-case output (you might need a cheater bar)... If it's locked up you should be able to tell. If it turns easy and doesn't make scary noises, then you might just have shifter problems.

busy day...got it cleaned up a little, once i knew it ran, i changed oil and filters just to put off the tranny.

drained trans fluid and oil looked good, a little bit of crap on the plug, but nothing more than you might expect....i was puzzled. cleaned the plug and went to put it back in and saw some gunk on the threads, so i stuck my finger in there to clean it out....bunch of chunks inside on the bottom of the tranny:doh:

Chunks? Good excuse to switch to a W-56 tranny. Just get a W-56 tranny from a junkyard with the T-case still attached and use your T-case to do a Marlin ...

Oh, and bob the tail off that bed while it is down for the trans. Those things hang out so far you can't come down any decent ledges without draggin your rear...

...and I almost forgot, take off the little airdam thing below the front bumper. Doing it at the shop is cleaner and you won't have to get out of the truck to pick it up out on the trail. ;)

nuclearlemon said:
i didn't say pitch black side :flipoff2:

Aww, Igy, it's not that bad!
Here's the pic Perry SHOULD have as his Av!
SuzukiNaked.jpg

Fellow Lemon:

I have a w-56 and tranny from my 91. I just removed it because 5th gear was starting to go i.e. tranny vibration/howl. However, all other gears were fine. Not sure how long 5th will last BUT you can have them if you want. I am in KY so it might be stretch for you. I could have driven in 1-4 for probably a very long time. The tranny would not be bad if all you want to do is wheel.

Oh, just so you check, make sure the shifter seat is in tact. I know that a partially disintegrated one will cause the truck to pop out of gear. I am not sure what a completely disintegrated one will do but....worth a check. That would be an easy fix.

this will be a daily driver, so i'm looking for a good tranny setup with forward tcase shifter.

judging by the chunks in the bottom of the tranny, it's not the shift seat.:frown: i was hoping for something simple like that.

shifter's a b^%$h to get out too..

nuclearlemon said:
this will be a daily driver, so i'm looking for a good tranny setup with forward tcase shifter.

judging by the chunks in the bottom of the tranny, it's not the shift seat.:frown: i was hoping for something simple like that.

shifter's a b^%$h to get out too..

Next time you go after the shifter, try a pair of channel locks set so they are open enough to get around the shifter when you close the handles toegether. Push that lock ring down and give her a turn. It's not "special tool # *&%$&^*&) but it works alright for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom