Gobi Toyota FJ40 Stealth Roof Rack opinion ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have one of these ? I want to purchase for my soft top so I can carry my RTT
fj40s_1.jpg

I have seen some pictures of it and mounting it in Tucker and Roma's thread in 40 forums...page #13 I think.Just before he rolled it over on the highway...

Looks bad ass... I would like to see what it looks like with the soft top below it...

I will post pics once i install it just ordered the other day

I'm assuming RTT means rooftop tent? What kind of tent?

We owned a BJ45 (diesel version of FJ45) closed wagon, and we just had two bars accross the roof, and the rooftop was attached to that. In fact the whole system of the rooftop was designed for that. And behind the rooftop, we just had a very tiny custom made roofrack, carrying a spare wheel and a jerrycan.

Before we had that, we had a very big very heavy roofrack, which caused us to be very careful on offroad trips, it would very easily fall over (but we didn't let that happen)

Keep it as light as possible on the roof, as it also puts more force on the construction. Although this one seems to be well designed.

The RTT is similar to the big foot and ARB I bought like 10 of them a few years ago from the same manufacture and put my logo from my business on them. The last one I kept for me just never used it

Oh, that looks pretty much like a Maggiolina rooftent that we had on our Landcruiser. It is pretty much the same thing!
We travelled with it for over one year with that tent :)

But seriously, this rooftent is probably just as big as your roof. I don't see any use for a roofrack at all. Just put two bars over the roof and attach it to that. It probably is made for that kind of system, at least our Maggiolina tent was.

I mean, it is totally up to you, it is your car :)
But I think two bars are the lightest, cheapest and best option.

As said, we drove our 40 series Landcruiser through Asia for over a year, and two bars were just fine. With the old roofrack (not as good as the one posted in this topic) we would have done more damage to the car.

Do you have any photos with the Gobi rack? How have you liked it?

Old thread but some more info.

I bought a gobi for my Fj40 with soft top and RTT. Gobi rack swing the front Windows 1inch rear and front when break is apply with RTT. Need To install a cross-member from roll bar to front window to reduce this swing problem. I'm Thinking about installing 2 rods from front foot step to front rack support.

I did a rear extension for the rear pivot to put the gobi rack 2" higher. The Bestop softtop doesn't fit if rack isn't lift.

RTT put a lot of stress on the front window support with the gobi rack.

Did an hard trail with all mods done and the main trouble is angle. The Rtt sit to high and keep my heart beating up high in high angle situation. The feeling that you better open the door an be on the foot step to keep the truck from falling on the side.

I install an arb awning. The rear support hanger block the installation an I need to install the awning a foot in front of the top. That is a bad situation if small trees jam between the awning and the front of the gobi rack.

Hop it's help if other want this kind of setup.

Old thread but some more info.

I bought a gobi for my Fj40 with soft top and RTT. Gobi rack swing the front Windows 1inch rear and front when break is apply with RTT. Need To install a cross-member from roll bar to front window to reduce this swing problem. I'm Thinking about installing 2 rods from front foot step to front rack support.

I did a rear extension for the rear pivot to put the gobi rack 2" higher. The Bestop softtop doesn't fit if rack isn't lift.

RTT put a lot of stress on the front window support with the gobi rack.

Did an hard trail with all mods done and the main trouble is angle. The Rtt sit to high and keep my heart beating up high in high angle situation. The feeling that you better open the door an be on the foot step to keep the truck from falling on the side.

I install an arb awning. The rear support hanger block the installation an I need to install the awning a foot in front of the top. That is a bad situation if small trees jam between the awning and the front of the gobi rack.

Hop it's help if other want this kind of setup.
Good info, would you be able to post some photos of the various setups? Thanks

Any updates on the Gobi?
Started with a roof clean and wax then the install. Cleaned and prepared the surface on frame and side wall, but as with a lot of projects like this I’ve found some issues that need attention first. Trouble taking of the rear light covers then the lights themselves. Had replacement lights, started that and found crappy wiring job. Now fixing the wiring, but pleased that it’s getting done right. Hopefully that will be done this weekend and can get back to the install. Will update with picks.

7F1D9F6C-1EAB-4F5A-AB24-F5A49C13D487.jpeg

1AC485E0-A2B6-4356-B9BD-E30C62DDD050.jpeg

8B5763F7-2AFE-4F69-9925-5971AAA113EB.jpeg

F3AA2A1D-6EDA-441E-A10A-F9EAEC77B4DF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom