GOBI Roof Rack - 1st For an 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any chance of buying the mounting brackets just by themselves? I'm digging the smooth design and low profile.

And, well, nice big rack. :p

Bump for an update.

Otamiway, did you hear back from Paul?

I did get an email back from Paul..

Is there a Ladder for the 80? Yes, a ladder will be available within the next 3 to 4 weeks.
Please confirm that it fits with the factory rack in place Yes, the roof rack will fit comfortably over the OEM roof rack rails and cross bars.
How much weight will the rack support The Gobi roof rack will support 300 lbs. safe driving loads and 1000 lbs. static load capacity for roof top tents and occupants.
Is it compatible with a Roof Top Tent. Yes, most roof top tents are adjustable to just about any rack and with Gobi’s built in cross bars you will be set.
Are the rear lights the only wires in the rack? Yes, the wires we install into the roof rack are primarily for rear light install. The wires run front to back both passenger and driver’s side to serve as a clean light install.

I would shoot Paul an email for pricing.. He also mentioned that the current package included an insert that goes over the sunroof.. pretty cool

Good luck talking to anyone at GOBI who knows anything about the 80 series rack. Two un-returned phone calls and emails for me.

The facts that they make racks for the assortment of Heeps and Fake 2's/ 3's doesn't sit well for us receiving the type of customer service we are used to with most of our vendors.

Dude I dunno what you're talking about, but I've been emailing back & forth with Paul on a consistent basis over the past 2 weeks. Try paul@gobiracks.com. Very cordial, takes the time to answer ALL my questions, thorough responses, even provides pics as/when necessary.

Please share what they have been telling you becuase they haven't replied to me.

Got a reply yesterday from my ? the day before.

Mike,

Yes, the sun roof insert is now available for the 80 series roof racks.

Paul Badillo

GOBIUSA

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 10:09 AM
To: paul@gobiracks.com
Subject: 80 racks available?

Is the sunroof feature there now?

Please share what they have been telling you becuase they haven't replied to me.
Dunno why you haven't received a response...

What info are you looking for? Cuz a lot of my questions won't apply to you, as I'm looking for some custom stuff on my rack - to which he's being very accommodating.

I can tell ya this:
- Available in black (default) or stainless (more $$)
- Regular height or stealth
- Sunroof insert available
- Rear ladder available (compatible with rear spoiler)
- Front wind deflector available
- Compatible with different lights

Hope that helps...

Very nice, just one thing i would change for my use. I sometimes carry ladders and the fact that the front sits higher would make it impossible to strap them down flat. I would also like to see the stealth hight rack lowered with the factory rack removed. Definately interested thouogh!
IMG_9722_SM.jpg
IMG_9722_SM.jpg

Last edited:
what does rear ladder look like?
He didn't have pics of the 80 ladder yet, but said it's pretty much identical to the 4-Runner one:

96-4Runner-Stealth-Ladder.jpg

Very nice, just one thing i would change for my use. I sometimes carry ladders and the fact that the front sits higher would make it impossible to strap them down flat. I would also like to see the stealth hight rack lowered with the factory rack removed. Definately interested thouogh!
I'm sure you can mess with the front piece if you really want to; he seems to be fine with 1-off mods to the rack.

As for lowering the entire rack (which is what I wanted too, given I don't have an OEM rack), he said, "It currently sits just about 1-3/4” to 2” above the roof line, any lower would cause problems with wind noise, tie downs and cleaning of the roof top from time to time."

He didn't have pics of the 80 ladder yet, but said it's pretty much identical to the 4-Runner one:
96-4Runner-Stealth-Ladder.jpg

The 80 ladder will only attach to the liftgate. I don't have it yet but hopefully soon.

So where the hell are these racks? No a single word mentioned about them on the Gobi website...:confused:

I think he's making some now because he e-mailed me today for a measurement off of mine.

touche'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom