GMC V8 Desmog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Threads
108
Messages
1,438
Location
Bryant, Alabama
Long story short, got a 79 Chevy 1/2 ton from my pop's, he had a rebuilt GMC V8 put in it about 6 years ago. The air injection pump is squealing like hell. I can replace it but I'd rather get rid of all the smog crap all together. Pro's and con's of a de-smog?, Replacement belt part number and or idler pulley? If anyones done this before and can give me a heads up I'd appreciate it.
:beer:.
 
Smog pumps "cool" the internal cylinder temps by injecting some spent exhaust (amongst other things). There are some timing related issues as well when running a smog pump. Pulling the pump an capping everything off shouldn't be too troublesome but I'd seriously advise having someone with a scope/sniffer dial in your carb and distributor to make certain you aren't running too rich/lean, etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom