GM Tilt Column (1 Viewer)

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator

The earlier years are better just for the single purpose turn signal stalk. The swiss-army-knife POS they used in later years sucked. Big bulbous thing that worked the wipers, cruise control and brights. Breaks all the time when the tiny wires get bent when you use the tilt. Other than that, there's not a lot of difference. I think Texican uses the later model, easier to find, columns and JB welds the earlier turn signal stalk in there.

I want to say the camaro columns are cleaner than some. You can find them with a straight cylindrical cover.

I used a mini truck tilt column once. It's tough to fab the dash, but the wiring is easier and the steering wheel looks right.

I currently have a steering column out of a 81 camero. It looks like it will go in very easly. Also it already has all the connectors to match up with the chevy V8 wiring harness (bonus). Jack Rice (Medusa) used one in his Truggy.

i didnt have to, but i did just enlarge the opening in the dash just a little so that the colunm would sit a little higher. i used the chevy bracket and cut the ears off and raised the colunm and re-welded the ears on. hope this helps you a little more.

oh and thanks for the compliment!

i have an 80's firebird/ camero thing column in mine. They are good because most came with stick shift so you dont have extra shifting junk on the column. Chevy wire harness, so was easy to wire. And, I plan on hooking it up to my wipers on my 71, with this diagram. I cant remember who figured this out, but I am eternally grateful since I couldnt figure it out myself:

-Dustin
WiperSwitchAndScematic.jpg

I used a tilt column off of a 82 camaro . worked great. Have the wire directions somewhere . Had to cut the camaro brackets that mounts under the dash and re-weld but otherwise was a cool fit.

I used a column out of a 85 Monte Carlo SS so it had a floor shifter easy swap and everything on the column also works including the wipers and squirter and dimmer sw
I see someone wrote down a wiriing diagram of the wipers
Great Job it took me two days of drawings and scratching my head to figure that one out on my own and now someone has it on paper

I used on out of a 70 Old 442. Turn signal and dimmer switch was easy to hook up in my 68 FJ40.

Photos of brackets and fire wall mount anyone??

I like the idea that the GM column locks the wheel, ignition and the shifter, especially since our rig will have an auto trans.

John

85 cadilliac seville, gray just a tint off of OE gray but its on the column not next to any OE gray parts you really cannot even tell.

BTW tilt and tele :)

Just remembered i had a few pics up, mix of astro conversion pics, toyota ign in the dash, then the caddy column installed. I cut the column and reused the factory caddy dash mount (bent slightly and added a hole or two) didnt have to but i had the time :) Scroll down

http://members.cox.net/hi_c/astro/More astro pics/More astro pics.htm

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom