Glove box doesn't want to stay closed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So with the recent cold weather or just age, the glove box stopped closing. It's the little tabs that push outwards but they feel like they are catching on something.

Wanted to know if the glove box can be torn apart and repaired or is it a replacement item only? Looks like the door doesn't come off easily.

I'm having the same issue with my 2008. The plungers are broke so the glove box falls open every bump. Only solution is complete replacement unfortunately. I just jumped on to see if anyone had a used one or a good source for the part from Toyota.

I'm having the same issue with my 2008. The plungers are broke so the glove box fall open every bump. Only solution is complete replacement unfortunately. I just jumped on to see if anyone had a used one or a good source for the part from Toyota.

I have same problem in my 2009. It's intermittent for me. it works whenever I take it to mechanic. So whenever it gives me a problem I go to his parking lot and it starts working again (true story). Currently, he thinks I'm going crazy.

2010 Lc200 same problem the side locks don't slide back out to latch on to the glove box to stay closed have to wait on them... I'll pull it apart and see

Known issue for the 200's, at least the early ones and Toyota does not cover "trim" under warranty. I had mine completely replaced, no problems since.

Same issue on my 2008. It's worse when the weather is cold. The plungers seem to not want to extend so I take a key or something sharp and convince them to extend. That holds for a while until I need to get in the glove box again. Recently I used some Teflon dry lube on both sides and worked the plungers back and forth a few times and that seems to have helped some. To really fix it, other than replacing the door, I think I need to find a way to remove the glove box door and take it apart.

Same issue on my 2008. It's worse when the weather is cold. The plungers seem to not want to extend so I take a key or something sharp and convince them to extend. That holds for a while until I need to get in the glove box again. Recently I used some Teflon dry lube on both sides and worked the plungers back and forth a few times and that seems to have helped some. To really fix it, other than replacing the door, I think I need to find a way to remove the glove box door and take it apart.

Yep, thats what I did and it worked for me.

Yup. I've got a rogue glovebox door, same as the others the plungers stick. Oddly on our Canguro race 200 the release button sticks not the plungers. If someone sorts the disassembly, I'd love to hear about it.

Known issue for the 200's, at least the early ones and Toyota does not cover "trim" under warranty. I had mine completely replaced, no problems since.

How much did it run?

Thanks DSallean! Put a bid on it already

Tore apart a glove box door to find out the issue. Looks like lint and the old grease causes it to gum up. Can't disassemble unless you have lots of time and energy to heat the door up so the sonic weld would come apart.

IMG_9263.JPG

IMG_9264.JPG

A small hole in the middle and a philips screw driver can repair it. I bought a new door so I tore the old one apart.

Finally someone took out their tool box.. am waiting on my car to come back from the shop so you recommend just buy a new door ?

New door will run you $180-250 depending where you get it. Also depends on how handy you are. If you want to attempt to drill a 1/2 hole and add graphite then add a small plug from Home Depot that might work for you. I just went out a bought a new door because I was annoyed of it not closing.

In the interest of time I picked up a complete door too. If anyone needs a spare to test with, mine is for sale :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom