Giving a Battery Jump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok here's the deal. I'm not going to break this s*** doing this so I'm going to ask so I dont. It feels like a dumb question, but I'll be damned if I break anything trying to jump my friends car.

I have a dual battery setup. If I want to jump my friends car, does it matter which battery I connect to? I am assuming the one associated with ignition and all that jazz.

Here's a pic if that helps but I don't think it will.

Thanks

IMG_1048.JPG

1. Switch both your dual batteries together if you have a switch that separates them.

2. Start your cruiser.

3. Connect the red + jumper cable to your battery on the passenger side.

4. Connect the other red jumper clamp to the dead battery + terminal on the other car

5. Connect the black jumper cable to the running car's negative battery post.

5. Connect the remaining black jumper clamp to a good unpainted body ground at least 12 in. away from the dead battery

6. Let your running engine charge his battery for at least 10 minutes before trying to start it.

7. Once his engine is running, remove the black jumper clamp from his car

8. Remove the red jumper clamp from his battery.

The danger in jumping car batteries is creating a spark when the connection is made that can explode a charging battery.

Permanent eye damage is a real risk if a battery explodes. Ideally you should always wear protective eyewear when dealing with charging batteries.

The real danger is when disconnecting the jumper clamps because it is during charging (especially trickle charging) that the battery is generating flammable hydrogen gas and a spark is always produced whenever the jumper clamps make or break contact.

Blow some air over the battery prior to connection or disconnecting jumper clamps to blow away any leaking hydrogen. Keep your face away from the battery when connecting or disconnecting jumper clamps.

Last edited:
T
1. Switch both your dual batteries together if you have a switch that separates them.

2. Start your cruiser.

3. Connect the jumper cables to your battery on the passenger side (making sure of course that the other ends are separated).

4. Connect the red jumper clamp to the dead battery + terminal on the other car

5. Connect the black jumper clamp to a good body ground at least 12 in. away from the dead battery

6. Let your running engine charge his battery for at least 10 minutes before trying to start it.

7. Once his engine is running, remove the black jumper clamp from his car

8. Remove the red jumper clamp from his battery.

The danger in jumping car batteries is creating a spark when the connection is made that can explode a charging battery. Although I've always just connected jumper cables directly to both terminals with never an issue, batteries generate hydrogen gas which is flammable.

If you really have to disconnect/connect the jumpers directly to the battery posts, blow over the battery several times with a big lung full of air to blow away any lingering hydrogen vapors prior to connecting/disconnecting the jumper clamps.

The real danger is when disconnecting the jumper clamps because it is during charging that the battery is generating flammable hydrogen gas and a spark is always produced whenever the jumper clamps make or break contact.
thank you great success was achieved!

warning, if you are jumping a newer car, don't do it like we all are use to(run the car to raise amps).......do NOT leave the car you are using to jump the dead one with run, leave the motor off. These darn new cars can fry their brains if the voltage or amps are wrong.

this was new info to me but came from a guy that knows what he is talking about

It feels like a dumb question, but I'll be damned if I break anything trying to jump my friends car.

I bought this to jump start other vehicles, and it has proven to be very useful, not only to jump start other vehicles, but to quick charge tablets, and cells......

The best part is that I dont have to mess with my vehicles at all.......

Lol...

If your the one jumping a dead fairly new car, the car doing the jumping need to be OFF when the dead car is started or it can fry all that new electronic crap on the car being jumped.

A jump box is fine as are those portable charger/jumpers.....unless it's a samsung....then it might blow up or spy on you......;)

Translation? :)
I can't quite figure that sentence out

I have the antigravity xp10 and for as little as it is, it does a great job. It also takes out all the variables which I like even more.

What's in the Tupperware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom