Gilmer TX - Barnwell Mountain - Tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, just wondering what people's thoughts are on Barnwell Mountain Rec Area in Gilmer, TX, for wheeling an 80 series? I've been on Youtube to see what people have posted through there, and it looks like a lot of ravine stuff and some big ledge drops, which is fine in a Jeep with great departure angles, but looks like a tailpipe cruncher with the 80 rear end...

So yeah, have people been there and enjoyed it? Which trails are good for 80s, if I'm pretty well armored (sliders, front and rear bumpers) but don't want to damage my body if I can avoid it? Any trails that should be avoided at all costs? Is bringing the roof top tent just asking for a rollover (I probably won't bring it anyway, and am likely to just sell the damn thing rather than store it and never using it)?

Also, if anyone has opinions on which of the camp sites are best for primitive camping, I'll gladly take those tips as well. Cheers! :beer:

Not sure how to add rig details to my posts like some people do, but in case this is useful for giving advice - 96 LX450 with OME lift and 35" M/Ts, auto rear locker, sliders, ARB front bumper, 4x4 Labs rear bumper, snorkel.

If you've got armor then you should be good on level 1-4 trails. Conditions change out there often and level 4 trails can turn into 5s easily.

Try camping at camp Maybey all the way in the back corner. It's nice and secluded.

If you've got armor then you should be good on level 1-4 trails. Conditions change out there often and level 4 trails can turn into 5s easily.

Try camping at camp Maybey all the way in the back corner. It's nice and secluded.

Yeah, the 4s were what I was really wondering about - I think I'd be pretty comfortable on the 3s, but considering their trail ratings go 1-5 but they only actually list them up to 4, I assumed that might be some really gnarly stuff. Glad to hear that its passable in an 80! Good chance I'll cut my teeth on some 3s to get a feel for things on Day 1, then see what I'm comfortable with for Day 2.

Thanks for the camp suggestion too!

Like most parks the trails change all the time. You can get general ideas from Number systems but I've seen wicked 2 rated trails and easy 4's. The biggest thing i remember from there is that there are trials you can run in 2wd dry but couldn't do in locked when wet. The red clay is slick. And i still have it on my driveway 10 years later when it rains.

IMG_5185.jpg

Red Mud

IMG_0258.jpg

I'll be out there at the end of the month for Jambo. I'll be rolling with my GX buddy, so I probably won't hit the hard stuff. I know to stay away from a few of the trails that are local legends.

@REKCUT That second picture is the sort of thing I'd want to avoid, hahaha. I know it's a bit prissy, but when it's not being wheeled I like my rig to still look good and I don't love the idea of dragging the sides along a dirt wall! I take it that there are also plenty of trails out there that don't involve that particular type of obstacle? I also will likely be without another vehicle for support, and that picture makes me plenty nervous about finding myself stuck, haha.

I'll be out there at the end of the month for Jambo. I'll be rolling with my GX buddy, so I probably won't hit the hard stuff. I know to stay away from a few of the trails that are local legends.

That's what I'm looking for, hahaha. What are the "local legends" that I should be staying away from?

If you going to jamboree there will be plenty of friendly folk to hook up with and they also do organized runs. Yes both of those were level 4 trails.

Yeah, eat at Doc’s Hot Links. That’s about all I got. Maybe get some Bodacious. The beans are especially good. I grew up in Gilmer, but I’ve never been to Barnwell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom