Gibson muffler opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had any experience with Gibson mufflers?

I've been doing so work to the underneath of my 97 LC, new diff and tranny fluid has morphed into new bushings, new tie rods, powder coating various bits, and now... Looking at that rusty exhaust with 9 bends and crushed pipe... i think we can do better.

The current system is running two cats (back to back) to a 9" round 24" long Toyota muffler then to a series of snake like bends around the frame and axle out the back of the steel bumper I believe all the piping is a 2.25 ID
I'd like to eliminate all the bends and run a single hi flow cat to a shorter muffler to a simple turn down before the rear axle all at 2.5" ID

This Gibson unit intrigues me:

Gibson CFT Muffler actually tunes your exhaust by using resonance chambers, directional louvered tuning ports and angular induction to draw exhaust gases into the muffler and expel it at a higher velocity. They feature a Chambered and louvered core, Non-packed muffler to ensures no sound degradation overtime and fully welded solid internal construction, This result delivers more power with a deep tone.
They have off set models that I think will tuck pretty high leaving a good amount of clearance and frame protection.

Gibson Performance Exhaust - CFT Superflow Offset/Center Oval Muffler, Aluminized #55192!

I found this sound clip of a FJ cruiser with a Gibson split exhuast but I don't know what to make of it.

even in stock trim the fj cruiser sounds like a sports car vs a truck.

I don't know what the laws are in AZ but in CA the exhaust has to exit past the passenger compartment. Even if this isn't an AZ law I would still have the exhaust exit out the back or at a minimum out the side. This will reduce cabin heat and stop the exhaust fumes from getting in the cab while driving at slow speeds. Also the longer the pipe is the more torque it will make.

I'm not sure about the Gibson mufflers but I've had good luck with Magnaflow and Spintech. Either of those brands will give better flow than the stock one and better ground clearance. I plan on using a Magnaflow 11256 muffler on my 80 when I do my exhaust. This is a 4x9" oval with a 18" case length, offset/center set up. If I have room I'll get the 11266 version which is the same specs but the inlet and outlet are both offset for a little quieter sound and less drone.

Magnaflow 2.5" straight through muffler and high flow cats here, and I love them. I am going to wrap the downpipe with header wrap as it's thinner than stock pipe and a bit noisy. Also, in CA, we have to run both cats, can't cut one off and leave one. If you're planning to run all the emissions equipment, it'll probably run better with both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom