Getting at my antenna motor... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ordered my new new mast and nylon cable with new drum from this website

Land Cruiser Antenna Mast 1990-1996

super fast shipping, and i quite competitively priced from my searching, i never called Cdan though about his price as i ordered over the weekend. 51 dollars shipped to my door. i will snap some photos when i get to installing the setup (hopefully this Saturday) and do a little write up!

I just got a quote from Beno for both Rod and cable assembly for my '95 so at least I'm hoping that's all I need.

another quick note, be careful not to snap any of the plastic clips that are in the motor assembly when replacing the nylon cable, i snapped a piece the first time i tried to repair the antenna (before i knew i needed a different mast and cable) and managed to snap a plastic clip that required me to buy a new used motor assembly from a fellow member.. not a huge deal, but it was another 40 bucks i didnt need to spend!

another quick note, be careful not to snap any of the plastic clips that are in the motor assembly when replacing the nylon cable

Good tip Schwein - any pics of these or short description of when these come into plan during installation would be appreciated. What do these plastic clips look like and where are they located?

Fail...

I made another painful attempt at fixing this da&n thing... hands all cut up to prove it.

I disassembled the drum and removed the busted cable from the unit.. was a very short piece. I painfully threaded the new cable into the unit through the top. Had a he&& of a time attaching the plastic cable to the drum. Not sure they planned on you replacing that piece because the old piece was crimped in place and that steel was almost impossible to bend back to insert the new piece in a very awkward angle. My wife was helping me but I don't think I got in secured well enough because when I buttoned it all up (again, painfully) it busted right out of there on the second try and that was it... 2 hrs for nothing... :mad:

So I just wasted $50+ on replacement mast and cable.... argh!!!! I hate this thing with passion... giving up on the auto antenna nonsense.

Where do I get a flexible one with cable?!

Good information. I replaced my motor today and this was all helpful. Went from the inside of the engine bay and since I was replacing the antenna wire, I cut it and taped the new one to it and pulled into the cab. Replaced the stereo too and all is working well now. Took about two hours total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom