Gettin' ready to sell my 80, need some help with a few repairs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, finally time to (sadly) sell my 96' 80 series. I've been working on a 100 series build for a few years and getting hard to justify keeping both. So, I'm hoping to get some help from MUD'ers on a couple of repair items:

1) dome lights - When opening the DS rear door, the dome lights don't come on, but the door lights do. All other doors operate the dome lights just fine, except the DS rear. This just started this week (WTF?). Does anyone have a schematic of the interior lighting they can direct me to, or have suggested troubleshooting suggestions?

2) DS rear view mirror - The mirror wobbles around like crazy and the metal part that holds it in place is broken so have it bandaded together. I have a brand new mirror and was hoping that someone had a step by step procedure of how to change it out. I read somewhere that in order to disconnect the wires, you have to remove the door panel. I've searched the 80 forum but couldn't locate a step by step procedure so hoping that if there is one, someone can send me a link to it or provide the actual procedure.

Want to fix those two items prior to listing her here on MUD and Craigslist.

Thanks in advance!

I just popped the glass out if I recall the wires are right there think it was 3 of them had a pic but deleted it

1) The dome lights are triggered by a contact with ground. Remove the switch and clean the corrosion off of both sides (switch and body) of the contact.
2) Driver's side mirror glass. You can remove it by the screw on the bottom. That will remove the glass and will expose the mount that is broke. The color coded wires can be removed off the power motor assembly now. As far as the whole mirror assembly you will need to remove the triangular black piece in the corner of the window on the inside of the door to access the bolts that hold the mirror assembly. The plastic piece slides up and back to remove as I recall. I can't remember exactly right now, do not try pulling it straight out, it will break the tabs. Maybe someone else can chime in on the actual removing procedure of the black triangle. If don't recall ever needing to remove the entire door panel.

Awesome - Thanks for the quick replies! Will try both this weekend. One other question on the switch: Does the rubber boot over the switch simply pop off or is there some special way to remove it without damaging it?

The rubber just pops off with a bolt holding the switch in place which also grounds the switch.

Got it, I'll give it a shot, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom