Get Rid of Smog Items on '73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexYoung

SILVER Star
Threads
I want to get rid of all the smog crap on my FJ40. It's a 1973 with the stock motor. Texas doesn't require I have it on there since I am registering the vehicle as antique. I have been running it with no belt on the smog pump and that seems fine. What do i need to do to get rid of all of it? Are there plugs I can buy to put in the holes where the Smog rail goes into the Intake Manifold? Do I have to make any changes to my carb? What about the line that goes from the canister to fuel tank? Looks like there is quite a bit to contend with. Am I making it more complicated than it is? Help!

The AP and associated plumbing can be removed. The carb does not have a ported vac fitting to supply vac to a vacuum advance dissy. Unfortunately the truck is equipped with a vacuum retard dissy, so that should not be connected to anything. Set the base timing to 10* at idle.
Keep the canister system as intact as possible. It provides a method to get air out of the tank without as much gas stanky, and allows makeup air back into the tank without the FOD.

You can check out my thread I just recently wrapped up my desmog - it was a bit more involved than I expected but I'm not a mechanic so had the pros help me some. Mine is a '74 so should be similar. Keep you smog stuff in the event you sell. Like @Racer65 said about stock...

Thanks, I may take your advice and leave it in.

You don't want to eliminate the evaporative emissions system. Your rig and your garage will smell like gas all the time.
Sounds like I just need to leave it in the vehicle.

You can check out my thread I just recently wrapped up my desmog - it was a bit more involved than I expected but I'm not a mechanic so had the pros help me some. Mine is a '74 so should be similar. Keep you smog stuff in the event you sell. Like @Racer65 said about stock...
Thanks a bunch. Do yoou have any issues with gas smell since you took it all out?

I will tell you desmogg'n my early '74 really made a difference. If you have your carb rebuilt by Jim C. (poster above) or 65swb45 they can drill the throttle body and install a vacuum advance port which will allow you run a NEW vac advance distributor available from Toyota or Trollhole, which seemed to make mine much more responsive.

I'm in Kalif, so I moth-balled all the smog stuff, just-in-case, 'cuz you never know with the bastids that run this town....

Thanks a bunch. Do yoou have any issues with gas smell since you took it all out?
No smell of gas I kept my canister which everyone said to do. My cruiser smells less of gas than it ever has since I replaced the hoses and that stopped the small fuel leak.

Engine bay is a little cleaner without all that stuff that's a fact.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441152891.943163.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom