Georgia Traverse Overland Trail (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
Has anyone in the club or area done any of this trip? Looks like a great idea, I was planning on maybe doing some weekend of 4/15. Starts just west of Jocassee in SC, goes for 390 miles.

Georgia Overland - Georgia Overland

image.png

Looks interesting.
4/15-4/17 is the Relic Run.

I can't join you, but I'd be interested in a trip report! I'd love to hit this area up later this year!

I just picked up a NC Gazetter for the HC trip(s) I'll be on this year. Are you buying one for SC and GA as well?

I'd love to go in Jun/Jul. Before and after that I'm too busy for a long weekend excursion.

I will go again, no doubt, its 390 miles! Since I can't make the June Hurricane now, maybe can slip out in June. Hoping to do July Hurricane, need to hire Tonya Harding to take someone out.... lets see....

Is that tonya's brother?

@GLTHFJ60 I had the Gazetteer on the HC run I went on last year. It's nice to have, for a wider view of what's around, but lacks the resolution you may want. The National Geographic maps cover that area in depth and will get you a better (closer) view. I think @FJinTegaCay had the NG map last year. We ended up primarily using that along with @Izzyandsue 's whiz bang techno mapping software, while my Gazetteer came out only a wee bit

@GLTHFJ60 I had the Gazetteer on the HC run I went on last year. It's nice to have, for a wider view of what's around, but lacks the resolution you may want. The National Geographic maps cover that area in depth and will get you a better (closer) view. I think @FJinTegaCay had the NG map last year. We ended up primarily using that along with @Izzyandsue 's whiz bang techno mapping software, while my Gazetteer came out only a wee bit
The maps in my possession on last year's trip were lent to me by to Sam (@elkaholic )

@mtnbike28 had the NC Gazetteer last year, and while I agree the resolution wasn't as good as it could have been, it was enough to get me from the camp we were at to the nearest town in search of firewood. I picked up some mapping software after @Izzyandsue 's good experience so with both of those, we should be good to go.

Got the maps today, some of trail seems to go through roads that have gates on the Trails Illuatratd maps. Guess I will find out next week. Hoping to get a beachhead Friday.

Got the maps today, some of trail seems to go through roads that have gates on the Trails Illuatratd maps. Guess I will find out next week. Hoping to get a beachhead Friday.
I did read in their FAQ or disclaimer or whatever, that some trails may be gated and/or closed seasonally and/or washed away, etc.

Plan is, loosely, leave by noon from Charlotte, drive to beginning of route (3 hours tops), and start going for about 3 hours and start looking for campsite. Camp could be on official site or a site shown on Georgia Overland trail map, no sure. Might rain, so may need more time to set up camp.

Anyone who can and want to make it let me know. Otherwise this will be a solo trip.

I have done sacriledge, marked the map! So I kicked myself in the ass and did 50 pishups penalty, and bought a clean map. I transferred as much from the digital map and trail to the paper so I can see it big picture. Here it is in case I don't come back one of you guys can come get me. The red line is the trail, but ther seems to be a lot of other tails nearby. Could GA have that much more open forest road trails than NC? I don't know. Will report back. NBL

image.jpeg

If it's really that long, we may have to organize a hurricane-creek style run down through Georgia. That's a lot of miles!!

From their site:
" Of the 390 total miles presented here, 226 miles are unpaved road surfaces consisting of gravel, dirt or both. Connecting the off-tarmac sections are 164 miles of pavement, with just over 40% of the paved miles found west of the Cohutta and Big Frog Wilderness Loop."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom