Georgia Traverse - Feb 2-4 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK I just looked at the link this 390 miles of state and forest service roads. How many miles a day are you thinking.
In other words how many nights moving camp.
This looks like a migration more than a trail ride, a 1000 mile weekend. Or did I miss something?
OTOH and anyhow I'm up for whatever I can break loose for be it wheeling or baja-ing. Or just a long ride in the woods. I like these woods did a lot of moto carving in those hills. TWO at Suches is my favorite mountain resort.
Vague suggestion would be do 50-100 miles in a loop or a there-and-back with some wheeling involved. Base camp not too far into the starting point. Set up Friday come out Sunday evening.
I feel a need to wheel, been several long years.

OK I just looked at the link this 390 miles of state and forest service roads. How many miles a day are you thinking.
This looks like a migration more than a trail ride, a 1000 mile weekend. Or did I miss something?
OTOH and anyhow I'm up for whatever I can break loose for be it wheeling or baja-ing. Or just a long ride in the woods. I like these woods did a lot of moto carving in those hills. TWO at Suches is my favorite mountain resort.
Vague suggestion would be do 50-100 miles in a loop or a there-and-back with some wheeling involved. Base camp not too far into the starting point. Set up Friday come out Sunday evening.
This might give you an idea of the road, the camps, the distance.
Georgia Traverse Overland Trail

This might give you an idea of the road, the camps, the distance.
Georgia Traverse Overland Trail

Wanted to get deeper into the planning this week and will post up more details . My goal is to make it as far as possible along the established route; less side exploring but anticipating necessary detours. Plenty of opportunities to drop south and hit the interstate back when needed. I would like to make this a reoccurring winter event for UC (no scheduled hibernations!) and future runs will be more about interesting spots we find along the way.

@Izzyandsue I have read through your thread several times and it has been very helpful. Also why I plan to bring extra trash bags.

I am officially out of the running that weekend with family obligations, but glad to help in any way. Depends on the size of the group you may need to stay on official campsites, remotes are smaller and no fire rings.

Small chance I could join on Saturday midday.

It's going to be cooooold!!!! Izzy went through several butane bottles in the Spring!

Izzy smart, Izzy now brings 20lb propane for heater. Izzy likes his comfort. Izzy is a princess.

You may want to dial up the ranger stations before you head out for latest fire restrictions, lot of kindling on the ground. The propane firepit did work most excellently.
Something like this is what I have:
Aurora Portable Gas Fire Bowl (67805A) - Outdoor Fireplaces - Ace Hardware

I got a snow peak portable fire pit, for wood.

I got a snow peak portable fire pit, for wood.
Do you keep your pinky out when putting on new logs? I will try to remember the charcuterie.

It's going to be cooooold!!!! Izzy went through several butane bottles in the Spring!
Still pretty far out, but looks fun. I might drop a body warmer in my sleeping bag.

36593852-8B05-4F22-941F-BD0B4BEE4860.jpeg

Good little bit of snow keep the dust down some ice in the mornings and shady spots.
Good times.

Stickers???? You getting stickers?!?!?!? Now I really need to figure out how to escape Saturday and connect with you guys. That does it.

Seriously, I will find a way. My wife has a big dinner party thing for all the parents who volunteered for Marching Band (our youngest last year marching), and that is Friday. So i need to be elbows and assholes all day Friday helping her get that ready and cleaning up afterwards. But I can get up at zero-dark and drive up to meet you all. Once you get a rough schedule, I will know where you end up, could meet you as you are gearing up in the morning.

A good place to get gas on day 2 is at Dillard, gas station on the corner of 246 and 23, right on the trail

Is that a pile of :poop: on the hood of the 40 on that sticker? ;)

Stickers???? You getting stickers?!?!?!? Now I really need to figure out how to escape Saturday and connect with you guys. That does it.

Seriously, I will find a way. My wife has a big dinner party thing for all the parents who volunteered for Marching Band (our youngest last year marching), and that is Friday. So i need to be elbows and assholes all day Friday helping her get that ready and cleaning up afterwards. But I can get up at zero-dark and drive up to meet you all. Once you get a rough schedule, I will know where you end up, could meet you as you are gearing up in the morning.

A good place to get gas on day 2 is at Dillard, gas station on the corner of 246 and 23, right on the trail

I hope to have a better idea soon. Maybe we can has some of this out at Quaker Steak tomorrow. I am still operating on the Semper Gumby principle. I will also have the 2M running and can PM you my phone number. Thanks for the fuel stop recommendation.

Is that a pile of :poop: on the hood of the 40 on that sticker? ;)
As you said, that is a 40, not a Wrangler.

The image is in the original post. It's a groundhog, and there is a shadow behind the the UC logo to pay homage to the "holiday". The image file has a larger shadow but it didn't translate to the sticker as well. Oh well, subtle is good too. I thought about another Groundhog Day reference but I am not good enough to photoshop Bill Murray driving the 40.

So, bad timing and raises some concerns. Much of this route is National Forest, and the defunded federal government may make things difficult. During the last shutdown there seemed to be a lot of money and effort spent to make things harder on everyone. Barricades were set up around open air memorials and even the Blue Ridge Parkway was closed citing safety due to no Park Service patrols. It is not clear yet what will occur this time.

Screenshot_2018-01-20-08-48-33~2.png

There is still some time, so hopefully a non-issue. Impact could be as severe as every gate closed, to restricted camping, to only visitor centers shut down, to nothing.

That said, lets start firming up commitments on who is coming. Unless I find that the entire area is barred off, I'm in.

Plan for cool evenings and maybe wet. Bring cash for camping options.

Weather for Helen, GA.

Screenshot_2018-01-20-09-11-21~2.png

Last edited:
I’m still in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom