Gel coat this top?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am repairing and refinishing my fiberglass top and have all of these cracks, do I just gel coat the entire thing once I’ve stripped the paint? I’ve read a lot about carving out the cracks and filling them but obviously can’t do that with this. Thx!
5773556C-3FCC-45C7-B8D9-0D7B0E82F1A4.jpeg

Would that sand out? I would try that first. Then gel coat but not the whole top if cracks are localized. Just gel coat on issue areas!!

Fine kitty hair bondo works great. I know bondo sounds crazy. Use a thin layer. Sands really well. FiberGlass strands holds well from cracking.

I am having a fiberglass boat shop do mine. They have done a few and they really know what they are doing. Reason is I am inexperienced and do not want to mess things up.

I am having a fiberglass boat shop do mine. They have done a few and they really know what they are doing. Reason is I am inexperienced and do not want to mess things up.
Would you mind sharing how much that costs? I am interested in doing the same down the road

I'm right next door in New Mexico and will be needing this for the hardtop going onto my '71 FJ40 build. Which boat shop? Probably worthy of a road trip.

I’m jaded anymore. Always disappointed whenever I get work done. No one takes the care you do on your own rig.

I can’t it look further down the road than tomorrow or I end up taking months off at a time : ). Ordered my gelcoat!

I'm right next door in New Mexico and will be needing this for the hardtop going onto my '71 FJ40 build. Which boat shop? Probably worthy of a road trip.

The shop is in Tucson, Az. and it is a boat/fiberglass shop and has already done some FJ40 hoods. I will link when I get to it. The cost quoted , of course depends on how much repair is needed, was 800.00 to 1200.00 dollars. He also told me the original egg type color was more expensive because he orders so much bright white for other needs. Personally, I like the brighter white even though it is not stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom