Gauge Problems (it’s not the sending unit) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the fuel gauge in my 85 FJ60 would only show 1/8 tank when completely full.. replaced sending unit with new Toyota unit and now the gauge only goes to 1/2 when completely full.. possibly the gauge itself?? I know there’s been plenty of posts regarding sending unit questions, but I can’t quite sort this one out with the info I’m coming across…

Appreciate it everyone

You’ve got a new Toyota fuel level sender so there’s only one other thing left that could be malfunctioning…

Just for giggles you can verify that your new sender works correctly by removing it and lifting the float arm all the way up (like a full tank) and then seeing what the gauge does.

If it’s any help, trying to source another used fuel gauge, the FJ62 fuel gauge fits exactly. Its the exact same gauge except for the dial faceplate and needle. I put one in my FJ60.
5A7465A8-9A6B-48D6-9FAF-E64E97309CE0.jpeg

Remove the float and guage cluster. Run a wire from the float to the gauge. Move the float and see if the gauge moves correctly. If it does, the wiring is at fault.

I have read somewhere that it is possible to mount the sender wrong so the float gets jammed and does not rise up correctly. Could that be the issue?

I have read somewhere that it is possible to mount the sender wrong so the float gets jammed and does not rise up correctly. Could that be the issue?
Hmmm.. didn’t think of that one. I mounted the new one exactly as the older one but the one I pulled out could have been incorrectly installed. Hard to tell if the old one was factory installed.. I’ll look it up. Thanks!!

Remove the float and guage cluster. Run a wire from the float to the gauge. Move the float and see if the gauge moves correctly. If it does, the wiring is at fault.
As the gauge consistently reads incorrectly (doesn’t fluctuate) I’ve sorta ruled out the faulty wire. Having said that, I’ll try your suggestion prior to installing a new gauge. My assumption could be faulty as I’m not to keen on all things electrical…!!

Thanks!

You’ve got a new Toyota fuel level sender so there’s only one other thing left that could be malfunctioning…

Just for giggles you can verify that your new sender works correctly by removing it and lifting the float arm all the way up (like a full tank) and then seeing what the gauge does.

If it’s any help, trying to source another used fuel gauge, the FJ62 fuel gauge fits exactly. Its the exact same gauge except for the dial faceplate and needle. I put one in my FJ60. View attachment 3155980
We gauge sourced. I will try the wire bypass test mentioned below prior to install though just to clear the faulty wiring possibility… really appreciate all the suggestions..!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom