G.M. alternator conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just put on a gm alternator in place of the old 40 alt. but this on GMC 350. Best source of info is to Google the topic and it will bring up bunch of info from all sources including Mud. Lots of info on the 1 and 2F converted to GM Alt.

I used a delco cs130 I believe from a 1990 ish eagle premier iirc . Minimal grinding and it fits on factory mount . Had it rebuilt recently and converted to one wire hookup .

Cs 145 is what im running on my 2f,

150 Amps at idle,

Its from a 95 impala v8, very simple to install and wire

cs144 swap is the big daddy, it will put out 100amps at idle and are rated up to 200amps,

they came on alot of stuff in the late 90's mostly caddy's and other gm stuff, look up a caddy with out a heated windshield..

here is a few links, easy swap wiring wise will need to modify a bracket...

NovaResource - SI to CS Alternator Conversion

AC Delco/GM Alternator Swap Part 2 - CS144 Installation - Ignition and Electrical

Alternator Upgrades - Junkyard Builder - Car Craft Magazine

ohh make sure to use a real cable from the alt to the battery.. these things will put out some juice...

cs144 swap is the big daddy, it will put out 100amps at idle and are rated up to 200amps

Mean Green sells a cs144 GM alternator with the correct pulley and mounting for a 40. An expensive way to go, but you don't have to worry about sourcing pulleys and stacking washers to mount them. Home

I have been running one for many (six or eight?) years and it has been 100% reliable. No dimming of lights at idle! Enough power to run a big winch, multiple ham radios, refrigerator, ARB compressor, GPS, etc.

ohh make sure to use a real cable from the alt to the battery.. these things will put out some juice...

Yes; if you run one of these you will want to upgrade your cables, including the ground cables. I even added an extra ground cable, so I have one going to the engine (as stock) and another going straight to the frame.

They will also overpower your stock ammeter. I switched mine out for a volt meter instead.

Last edited:
Another vote for the CS144. My 94 Chevy pickup had the CS130, which I changed to a 140 amp CS144 out of a 97 Suburban (I think) and have never been sorry. For me the wiring was plug and play, but I did have to modify the stock mounts since the CS 144 is physically larger than the CS130. However, for you it will entail some wiring and modifying/making your own mount. The CS144 puts out some good amps, right from an idle, which is real good if you have an electric winch.

Don

Unless you just need a lot of juice the basic rebuilt 10si or 12 si does the job just fine, cost less and puts out more amps than the stock alternator

Cs130 and cs144 were designed to replace the si series. The main advantage is they put out alot of amperage at idle for the electronics in late model stuff. The si series put out very little at idle, if you are running any real load at idle the battery is supplying the amperage.

Most of my cs alternators came from pick and pull on half price day. Used a couple of dead si10 as cores.. on the pulley do a search you can duplicate the mean green setup for alot less with a little hunting, the pulley is off some industrial app..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom