fzj80 rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C-man,
Looks like you have your hands full :(
Good luck.

on a brighter note..........looks like the PHH should be piece of cake :D

Head came off tonight. Nothing obviously wrong after a quick look. Going to rotate the motor to check out the pistons tomorrow. I will take the head to the machine shop the dealer uses, and send the injectors to Motor Works for a cleaning.

Note the shade tree.

Looks like further evidence of bad cyl #5. Some vertical scoring on wall. So out comes the block :'(.

[quote author=Eduardo96FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=3786;start=30#msg29551 date=1059588534]

on a brighter note..........looks like the PHH should be piece of cake :D
[/quote]

Already did all the hoses last year. Used green stripe on the straight runs. It would be very easy to do with the intake removed. In fact, I would recommend removing the valve cover, throttle body, and upper intake when doing the hose. Do the injectors at the same time.

Got the motor out tonight. Still need to pull off a few things before going to the machine shop. Getting the rad out is a real pain.

Hey Jim. I haven't kept an hourly track, but it's taken quite a while spread over several weeks. Now that I know how to do it, I could probably do it in half the time :). If you know off the bat you wanted to pull the motor, it wouldn't be that bad. Lifted springs definitely do not help.

Are the backs of your knees all sore and stretched out? I am tempted to build one of those big rig style creepers :D

How long do you figure to pull it w/o all the disassembly?

Are you pulling the crank or letting the machine shop do the work? I am curious as to what else ends up being the problem - The scoring on the cylinder is tough to discern in the pictures...

Jim

I was set to pull the crank this afternoon, and I realized the shop closed at 5pm. So I hurried up and got the block/head down to the shop. I'll let him pull the crank and pistons. He's going to pull the valves, too.

The procedure for pulling the motor is well outlined in the manual, and there aren't too many shortcuts. I could probably pull it in a weekend, assuming no major hassles.

The shop indicates piston # 5 is burnt. He's going to hone the cyl and see if it's in spec, so it's possible I can get away with just one piston. The real problem is figuring out why it happened. Probably running lean, but why?

Possibly a bad injector or injector harness. The harness passes right by the EGR tube and that bugger gets HOT. It sometimes creates a problem with the harness. I would suggest you get the injectors balanced and consider replacing the harness as they don't like to get disturbed when they get old and brittle (like Photoman ;) )

There is a vacuum hose up to the throttle body, but it's on the pressure regulator IIRC. I got the injectors back a few days ago. No report was enclosed, but I was told they keep copies of them. The main dude is gone for the day.

Dan, a long time ago I wrapped the wiring harness in that area with AL tape and shielded it as best I could. That was when I screwed up the AFM connector. I've got the harness laying on the wheel well, and I'm going to look in that area for problems.

Just talked to the machine shop and told them about the timing gear bushing. Unfortunately the block has already been cleaned. If that bushing is AL, then it's toast :'(. I may be screwed. It sucks that no shops are familiar with this motor, but at least they've done 2Fs before. Damn it.

Dan, I'm going to be ordering from you shortly. I'll find out tomorrow about the pistons, etc.

There are various ways of cleaning up the block. My bushing is intact, since they didn't boil the block.

I'm going to do the full monty on the block. Head will get a valve job with new seals and re-surfacing. I'll have to figure out the shims after it's done.

cruiserman- what are the specs on your truck? (year, mileage, other probs?)

'93 fzj80, 146k miles
Ran great up until the piston melted :).

Mobil-1 w/toy filters last 70K miles. Only real problem was caused by me: I broke some solder joints on the AFM by incorrectly removing the connector. That was fixed after troubleshooting to find the open circuit. Never overheated or burned oil. Possibly an injector problem caused this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom