Builds FZJ80 6.5TD diesel swap build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Exhaust Manifolds

following up on an earlier message in this thread - the 6.5 factory drivers side manifold won't clear the FJ80 frame. Simple solution is to use a 6.2 drivers side manifold instead. Your muffler shop will have to custom bend a new crossover pipe, but they'll be bending a whole exhaust system anyway, so no big deal.

"Green Energy" Cruiser

This week, my diesel 80 is running on 33% used motor oil... the Land Cruiser version of recycling...

There's nothing green about burning waste engine oil.

And if he wasn't doing it it would be burning in someone's heater which isn't as efficient at burning the oil that engine is.

Were you ever able to get the pics of the drivetrain?

Technically, there's nothing green about driving a Land Cruiser, but a few folks on this list insist on doing it anyway... :)

I figure if I'm getting 18mpg in a 6000 lb cruiser burning used motor oil, it's gotta be a little greener than getting 9mpg running fresh gasoline in a similar vehicle. If nothing else, it leave a little more green in my wallet at the end of the week. Sometimes I throw in some used veggie oil, just to give my fellow commuters a fresh waft of fish fry on their way to work :)

what pics of the drivetrain are you looking for? I posted shots of the assembly, but it;s a little hard to discern details once the whole thing is installed... Will try to get whatever detail you need, just let me know.

Actually, driving a Land Cruiser IS green. You are choosing to recycle the toughest vehicle on the planet instead of scrapping and buying a new car. Next time you see a prius, think about the car that's in the landfill right now, and the batteries that will be there in a few years.

I love driving a diesel cruiser, that's why our shop specializes in converting them. The 6.5 is definitely one of my favorites in an 80 series. The 1HD-T takes the cake though, and above that is the 1HD-FT(e).

6840 said:
When my buddy had the same issue with his FZJ80 6.5 conversion, I got suspicious of the Toyota wiring harness.

Just saw this and I've had the same problem on my 80, and so has DSLTOY on his 60, both with 6.5s. Replaced the solenoid with no change a year ago and just been dealing with it. Looks like I've got the fix, thanks for posting the followup!

what pics of the drivetrain are you looking for? I posted shots of the assembly, but it;s a little hard to discern details once the whole thing is installed... Will try to get whatever detail you need, just let me know.

differ pics of the trans/tcase combo from under the truck if you could.

will try to get it up on ramps or something so I can shoot from below.

PICS

Could you post some pics under the hood?I would like to see how tight of a fit it is and maybe how you did your motor mounts.thanks

Amazing build
Im in the process of doing a N/A 6.5 (mechanical injection also) as well.
A question I have is , how do you guys fool the Toyota ECU about the engine? Does the ECU gives you codes?

You just disconnect the Toyota ECU, it will not give you codes. We typically hook the engine and all components to the main engine harness plug, so it can all be unplugged if a major engine service is due further down the road.

You sell the ecu with the old motor. The only computer you need to fool is the locker computer.

What needs to be done to fool the locker computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom