FZJ105 or UZJ100? - time for a new cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
I currently have a HJ61 which is fun, but I'm looking for another cruiser which is a little more family friendly.

I have ruled out buying a HDJ100 as the ones that are available in my price range generally have over 350k on them and they are still priced too high in my opinion. I know they are good, but if I have to have a computer on board then I don't care for the additional costs of the diesel. So for the first time ever, I'm looking at a petrol 4wd.

Despite the title I am not asking for general opinions about the two different vehicles, which has been discussed a lot, just four specific questions about the off road drivability of the engine with an auto transmission:
1. If you own either of these vehicles, please let me know if there any engine braking to speak of and if it is effective for slow descents on mud/sand/gravel?
2. What is your fuel economy like in sand?
3. Are water crossings of between 500mm (20") and 700mm (28") a problem?
4. What have you broken on yours?

Any information would be appreciated.

im partial to the 1fz as that's whats in my truck but to answer your questions

1. you can engine brake ill do that more on the highway coming up to an exit and it helps. offroad if I really need to crawl down ill go into low range, if not second gear is a good slow decent. the truck is an auto with 442 trans
2. not great all around, highway runs ill do between 12-13. mix 11-12. I don't have a good answer for the sand but figure around the 11-12, I calculate out my fuel range at 10 so that gives a little head room.
3. takes them like a champ, pretty capable even with out a snorkel. youd get better info on that in the 80 section
4. not much, its a tough motor. pm and a little time will keep it going for a long time.

im partial to the 1fz as that's whats in my truck but to answer your questions

1. you can engine brake ill do that more on the highway coming up to an exit and it helps. offroad if I really need to crawl down ill go into low range, if not second gear is a good slow decent. the truck is an auto with 442 trans
2. not great all around, highway runs ill do between 12-13. mix 11-12. I don't have a good answer for the sand but figure around the 11-12, I calculate out my fuel range at 10 so that gives a little head room.
3. takes them like a champ, pretty capable even with out a snorkel. youd get better info on that in the 80 section
4. not much, its a tough motor. pm and a little time will keep it going for a long time.

thanks for the response bigredmachine - i'm assuming your fuel figures are in mpg, is that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom