Funky spring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had a problem on the 80 ever since I lifted it many years ago and its getting worse. I want to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and solicit ideas to solve it.

20200331_161718.jpg

20200331_161714.jpg

This is the TJM XJS 50mm progressive-rate front springs. As you can see, my bump stop tower is hitting the spring. This is really noticable any time I take a big hit, it catches on the tower and twangs really loudly. Im getting sick of it. Stock radius arm bushings but Man-a-fre drop brackets. I've had the alignment checked and they say it checks out. One of 2 things is going on here - 1. The tower is misaligned and it needs to beat back. My theory is that before I had the man-a-fre brackets I just had castor correction bushings and I hit it hard and started a bending cycle that is getting worse.
2. The arm is somehow too short. The brackets on the axle are straight, and the man-a-fre chassis side bracket looks installed and aligned right, but as you can see, the spring and tower aren't aligned like the axle is pushed back too far.

The kicker is that its only the drivers side thats the issue. The other side has never interfered.

Anyone else deal with this? How did you solve it?

Mine rattles too and its annoying.

Mine is getting to this. Curious too, is this a common thing? Will this give me an excuse to get the Delta mounts + Icon bump stops? :oops:

Look for where the paint is missing from the spring or the bump stop. Then talk real sweet to it and hope for the best. OR spend lots of money to rid yourself of this annoyance because that’s what we do.

I ditched the insidethespring stops a couple years ago and put aftermarket, compressible, bump stops in the frame location. No more noise. I’m still smiling….

Look for where the paint is missing from the spring or the bump stop. Then talk real sweet to it and hope for the best. OR spend lots of money to rid yourself of this annoyance because that’s what we do.

I ditched the insidethespring stops a couple years ago and put aftermarket, compressible, bump stops in the frame location. No more noise. I’m still smiling….
The noise is coming from steel on steel. Replacing the stops wont do much for me unfortuntely.

You can take the bumpstop apart and remove the lower metal cup that is rubbing the spring. You can also bend the stop on your bench or shim it when reinstalling. Easy to do but you need to remove the spring to get to it.

it is metal on metal or rubber on spring?
Its a deep buzz. If I reach under and whack the spring with a rubber mallet I get the same sound as when driving on washboard roads; but only on the driver's front side.
I don't notice it slow rolling through obstacles. Only when the spring sets up a vibration.

You can take the bumpstop apart and remove the lower metal cup that is rubbing the spring. You can also bend the stop on your bench or shim it when reinstalling. Easy to do but you need to remove the spring to get to it.
The metal support is bolted in? oh, well okay then. I'll do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom