Full float conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would anybody have suggestions for a place to build me some custom axle shafts? I converted my rear to a full float with an electric locker, so now the pain begins $$$. I know there are a lot of companies that do custom axles, but I'm anxious to hear if there is some that are better than others or at least recommendations

Cruiserlad (72 FJ40, 92 FJ80, 88 mini) :)

Yep! gotter! Just hoping for a little more discussion. Tanks!

Yep! gotter! Just hoping for a little more discussion. Tanks!

There really are not that many people that can make/spline axles. There are A LOT of companies out there that will tell you that they do, but actually, will either order them from the other company and sell them to you, or ship blank material to one of them and have them cut the splines for the shafts. Of the folks that can cut splines in axles, I have found over the years that there are only a couple that are worth doing business with....

:beer:

I saw a show on Speed Vision Network that featured Currie's Shop. They went through and demonstrated how each axle is made. They took a blank and cut the splines with a special CNC machine. From what I saw, it looks like they could make any axle you wish. It just boils down to having the specs. and how much. I have no personal experience with them. You can find them advertising in just about every 4X4 magazine.

I can't understand why you would not contact G&S, SOR, MAF, etc to just buy a 40 OR 70 series factory full floating rear end. 70 series are identical width, and relocating spring perches (using Dodge new in the box) takes all of 1 hour of work.

Done.

PS, get a rear with parking brake (all 70 series, and post 1981 40 series)

Rick is the 3rd member located in the same location on the 70 and 40 series axles? I know the 70 series had cable lockers and wondering if there is a long splined axle that will work in the 40 series FF axle. I already have a 40 FF and the brake parts to convert to hand brake but I would like to install a E locker in it. I've asked this before in other treads but have never gotten a answer. I have the same question about the 40 and 70 series front axles.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom