Fuel Pump Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, the fuel pump on my 94 Fzj80 (256xxx miles)has started to die. I don't want to shell out the cash for the OEM pump but I am willing to spend around $100-$150. From what I've seen people seem to like the Denso however the only one I can find on Amazon doesn't get here til may and Rock Auto doesn't seem to have any. I did find this Delphi model however it doesn't come with the small filter for the pump.

Thoughts on this pump or any other ideas?

Also anywhere to get just the filter?

I’d find an OEM pump for a good deal at Partsouq.com or a Denso pump on eBay. It’s worth the extra time or money to increase reliability for your fuel system.

You’ll want to get a fuel pump strainer too. About $20.

Partsouq had it for $265 + shipping.

Salinas Toyota has it for $341 online.

Last edited:
By what method of diagnosis did you conclude that the fuel pump is failing?

By what method of diagnosis did you conclude that the fuel pump is failing?
I just got back from Easter Jeep Safari and while down there I noticed that sometimes I couldn't get the engine to rev past 2000 sometimes 3000 rpm but only under load. Also if it sat for a few hours the problem went away. I did some reading on the forum and read about exhaust restrictions possibly causing it. my exhaust seems to have a good flow as I just had that looked over.

I saw a tour place that had about 12 80 series that they did tours in so I stopped and found the mechanic who did all of their maintenance and repairs. I explained and showed him the problem and he helped me narrow it down to fuel. He was thinking that after the pump had been running for an extended period of time that the pump could be starting to fail.

I bought the truck about 2 months ago and the previous owner hadn't had it out on any big road trips or had it out for more than 2 maybe 3 hours at a time. On the way home from EJS the truck ran well for about 1.5 hours before it started to struggle again further showing that the fuel pump may be struggling after a period of time.

I had to stop several times and let it sit for 10 minutes for it to work ok again.

FInal conclusion was that the pump just couldn't hold up to long periods of use.

Thoughts?

I’d find an OEM pump for a good deal at Partsouq.com or a Denso pump on eBay. It’s worth the extra time or money to increase reliability for your fuel system.

You’ll want to get a fuel pump strainer too. About $20.

Partsouq had it for $265 + shipping.

Salinas Toyota has it for $341 online.
any part number for the correct denso pump

A good way to find part numbers is to enter your VIN number at Partsouq.com, when search for your part.

Here’s what I’m seeing from Toyota. Please check before ordering.

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser

PUMP ASSEMBLY, FUEL​

Part Number: 2322166040
Supersession(s): 23221-66040; 2322146060; 2322162010; 2322174110

I went to the Denso site and set up the filters for 1994 fuel pump and all they listed was the pump strainer. This is odd. I wouldn’t shy away from the Delphi pump if buying an oem pump is not possible right now.

I just got back from Easter Jeep Safari and while down there I noticed that sometimes I couldn't get the engine to rev past 2000 sometimes 3000 rpm but only under load. Also if it sat for a few hours the problem went away. I did some reading on the forum and read about exhaust restrictions possibly causing it. my exhaust seems to have a good flow as I just had that looked over.

I saw a tour place that had about 12 80 series that they did tours in so I stopped and found the mechanic who did all of their maintenance and repairs. I explained and showed him the problem and he helped me narrow it down to fuel. He was thinking that after the pump had been running for an extended period of time that the pump could be starting to fail.

I bought the truck about 2 months ago and the previous owner hadn't had it out on any big road trips or had it out for more than 2 maybe 3 hours at a time. On the way home from EJS the truck ran well for about 1.5 hours before it started to struggle again further showing that the fuel pump may be struggling after a period of time.

I had to stop several times and let it sit for 10 minutes for it to work ok again.

FInal conclusion was that the pump just couldn't hold up to long periods of use.

Thoughts?
More likely to be the pre-filter on the fuel pump than the fuel pump itself.
The pre-filter, part # 23217-16490 (about $12) has a lifespan of around 100K miles. If it's clogged, it will collapse on itself once the fuel in the tank warms, around 1 or 2 hours of driving.
After you shut the engine down, the filter will regain its shape and fuel will flow again.

The pre-filter, part # 23217-16490 (about $12) has a lifespan of around 100K miles. If it's clogged, it will collapse on itself once the fuel in the tank warms, around 1 or 2 hours of driving.
After you shut the engine down, the filter will regain its shape and fuel will flow again.
is Toyota the manufacturer?

is Toyota the manufacturer?
Nevermind found the part, I assume everything to mount it is on the pump

You’ll reuse the float mechanism that pulls out the top of the tank. Be sure to replace the sock…fuel pump strainer.

and be take care getting the assembly in and out of the tank. I chaffed a wire and the low fuel light stays on all the time now.

K thanks Just ordered a new sock ill post a update later this week

Nevermind found the part, I assume everything to mount it is on the pump
Depends on the condition of the rubber bits, and you're probably going to want to replace the little metal clip that holds the filter in place. Part# 23229-16010.

get a new sender gasket for when you pull the pump and new crush washers for the fuel line. if the top of the tank is really crusty you may want to consider a new banjo bolt for the line as well

get a new sender gasket for when you pull the pump and new crush washers for the fuel line. if the top of the tank is really crusty you may want to consider a new banjo bolt for the line as well
What are the sizes for these

Make sure you use submersible rated fuel hose to connect the fuel pump (in tank). If you use regular hose for that ~2in section, the rubber will swell and prevent a good seal.

What are the sizes for these

i would just order them from the dealership, it should be fairly inexpensive and easy to order in if its not in stock. i dont remember what size it was i replaced that stuff when i dropped the tank a few years ago. if you do have to drop the tank for whatever reason i would also change out the rubber fill hose and vent line, i had to cut mine off they were so hard to get the tank out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom