Front Heater Mounting Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does the front heater for a '75 40 bolt directly to the firewall, or is there some sort of spacer?

TIA!

Ian

Direct to it. I personally use a thin natural nylon washer between any two painted parts.

That are to the body color that is.

Shane

Thanks Shane, when I do that it seems like the vents at the top don't protrude from underneath the dash, and I can't get the air duct to hook up...I think I need some schooling on parts, from the various boxes to the ducts.

Vents at the top?

Year?

Duct on the later model slips over inlet and then the tab bolts to the fire wall and don't forget new weather stripping to make a good tight seal.

Shane

Here is a picture of the heater (following a recondition using your kit ;) ):
2u5dl00.jpg

I bought a heater duct from CCOT, this one:
coolfj40_1949_20222619

It feels like I need to move the heater out by about 2" to make the duct mate up to the heater.

I am not aware of a duct other than A/C for this version. Looks just like the one I have in my hands.

How was the kit? I have some one who is professional doing a instruction guide that I should have available soon.

So, those two pieces pictured (the heater and the duct) should mate up and sit "flush" against the firewall? They don't seem to be doing so.

The kit was great, although instructions would have been helpful ;)

I have a few heaters from late 81-83's and they have a tab on each hole that is 1/4 inch but thats not enough.

So, is the heater I've pictured a later model box? And it too should mount flush to the firewall and the duct should also sit flush once connected to the box? And the duct pictured above is the right one for the heater?

Thanks for the help - this is my first FJ40 and trying to work through some of the things the PO did as well as neglected.

My heater doesn't stick that far into cabin - the upper "vents" is about 2" under the lip of the dash.

My heater doesn't stick that far into cabin - the upper "vents" is about 2" under the lip of the dash.

Lower or in?

The top of the heater (square part) slightly touches the under side of the dash. In fact it should have scratches on the top of it from doing so.

I think a PO did something with the firewall to get the 350 in:

4xlepmw.jpg

521f6o8.jpg

6gb69oo.jpg

Things just don't quite look right...

I dont have an answer for that one.......Get some small tube spacers and shim it outward. The register should be on this side of the dash.

I think it's then going to interfere with the shifter. This would explain the cobbled together heater duct that was originally attached - man this is a pain picking up after POs.

Your sure it's not a 73?

The truck or the box? The truck is a '75 according to the stamp on the frame (192327) - unless someone changed out the front rails and threw in the appropriate plate (which is just floating around in the cab).

Verify the year first.

I have a restored early 67-73 heater and duct that may help you. I believe that if the tranny is a SM then the shifter will get in the way. I do not have any knowledge in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom